Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Frozen laptop - literally

So, last night was wonderful - clear, not too cold, a great time for me to do my first ever full-on, all night imaging session.

Once I was sure everything was set up right and working, I took myself to bed, leaving the heavens to whirl above me and my kit to capture them.

Woke up early, noticed it was a bit parky outside. 

Frost. Everywhere.

A bit panicky, I ran to the setup. Looked ok. Ah, there's frost on the laptop.

Started the laptop, it went 'crunch'. Not good.

Got everything in, mount is fine, camera is fine. Laptop still goes 'crunch'.

I leave it on the radiator for a bit. Now it goes 'swoosh' and does nothing. Leave it a bit longer. Now it goes 'whirr' and shows a message about Windows not starting, and I can try to autofix it.

Against all hope, it turns out my system has in fact been backed up automatically - yesterday - and I gingerly start the restore process. It actually works. It actually, actually works...

So let this be a lesson both to my  stupid self, and everyone else: don't ever assume your equipment will be fine, especially if it's nippy out.

I did cover the electricals and actually decided against covering the laptop, because I figured if it was ticking away it would generate its own heat and be ok. I was wrong. I'm never going to assume that ever again. 

I'm usually extraordinarily careful with backups (do full system backup with Macrium Reflect every few months, and had forgotten I'd set Windows to do a system snapshot each week), everything is on OneDrive with offsite backups etc. So, I was never really in danger of losing data. Just expensive hardware and my own self-respect.

So, any recommendations for keeping laptop frost-free overnight...?

• Like 2

I use one of these to house the power supply and another to house the laptop

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B001O3PG6A

Drill a hole in the side to let the cables in/out and it keeps all equipment dry and frost free.

I turn the one that houses the laptop on its side so the lid can be removed whilst the laptop is open for viewing. Replace the lid when you have finished,

box.PNG.0e87fabd83b94308bed94cff057ef03d.PNG

All very good suggestions, thanks! I think the key is basically to keeping the machine in an enclosure of some sort so that the heat it creates can be retained, and it should also keep the frost off. I also think the power plan for the laptop is important, so that it stays awake after the photo plan has ended rather than going to sleep, and therefore keeps generating heat. I've actually got a very slow, old netbook that I'm going to test some of these ideas out on (tonight for example looks like another chilly one). Rest assured I'm never, ever going to risk freezing my laptop again!

So last night had very similar temperatures. I placed the netbook in a thermally insulated picnic bag, together with the outdoor extension cord, and zipped up the top. Left it overnight, checked this morning, all good. So, that's my fix. I'm glad I didn't have to find out the (very) hard way.