Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Eyepieces for a SW 250 dob

1 hour ago, CLOUD90 said:

Hi all are the Celestron X-Cel LX Series Eyepieces any good for my 250p sw Dobson ? 

Probably, though multiple people have noted some black debris on the internal lens surfaces (QC issue?).  The Meade HD-60s are reportedly the same optically, but have not had any such reports.  I have a set of both the HD-60s and the AT Paradigms (BST Starguiders), and both are good.  I've reviewed them here.  However, that was at f/6, not f/4.7 as with your scope.  They might perform a bit worse, especially the longer focal lengths, in your scope.

Cloud90,

Keep it simple, keep it affordable until you gain some practise and experience in how the eyepiece(s) works for you.

I've seen too many novices rush, or be persuaded to buy top of the line wide field fully corrected eyepieces without really knowing what they will add to his/her viewing pleasure.

I've been observing since 1960 and for the first few years (!!!) only had a 25mm and 12.5mm Kellner (pretty basic) eyepieces. They allow you train your eye, to look for the detail...practise, practise.

When you gain a better understanding of how a "good" eyepiece may change your ability to "see detail", then and only then should you consider parting with your hard earned cash to upgrade. You DON'T need a stack of eyepieces.

Three will do 90% of the work, a higher power (lower mm) is handy for those moments (and targets) under steady perfect seeing...very infrequent hence it gets little use.

You just have to look at the for sale section to see how many of the "hot shot" eyepieces are being sold "Hardly used....used once...etc "