Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

TS-Optics 71SDQ APO - 71mm f/6.3 Quadruplet or William Optics 2019 GT-71 II or Sky-Watcher Esprit 100 ED PRO Triplet

Hi all.

The title says what I need to ask. I have been wracking my brains looking for a new refractor and I have narrowed it down to these 3. I know it's a big jump in price from the WO and TS to the Esprit but I thought I'd throw that in the mix. They will be used only for AP so I have looked at the faster triplets for all the reasons you would. Anyone have a preference or advise or even an addition to the mix? Thanks

Have a think about these questions as well  ...What sort of objects would you like to image and what fov are you after? For a given camera the TS and WO71 will have a fov 2.5 times that of the Esprit100... What camera will you use and what mount do you have or will you be getting?  Based on what I've read on here recently the Esprit100 will most likely require an EQ6 class mount whereas the smaller scopes will be happy on an HEQ5..  Where will you be imaging..  home or dark site..  lighter equals more portable 

• Like 1

6 hours ago, johninderby said:

The new but very intersting StellaMira 85 f/6.6 should be a great scope for AP. Bit better optics than the Esprit.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/stellamira-telescopes/stellamira-85mm-ed2-triplet-f6-6-apo-refractor-telescope.html

I am not sure of that at all, and you cannot use a link to the company selling them as an argument. Why whould it have a bit better optics? I have never seen any reviews or optics experts saying that you need two ED elements to make a great apo refractor. Most top class ones have only one (TEC, AP etc), and the Esprits are in that league. And the Esprit 100 will collect 40% more photons with the same focal length - that will for sure make a big difference. One of my scopes is an Esprit 100 and chromatic and spherical performace appear perfect to me.

Edited by gorann
  • Thanks 1

Wait for the testing of the StellaMira 104 about to take place at the IKI observatory. 

The StellaMira scopes are better built than the Esprit line and during testing by ED Reid have proved to be more consistant in quality. The FPL , FPL51 and Lanthium combination will give better colour correction than the Esprit scopes in imaging. And also remember you are comparing the StellaMira and Esprit scopes not TEC etc. 

Edited by johninderby
  • Thanks 1

16 hours ago, Laurin Dave said:

Have a think about these questions as well  ...What sort of objects would you like to image and what fov are you after? For a given camera the TS and WO71 will have a fov 2.5 times that of the Esprit100... What camera will you use and what mount do you have or will you be getting?  Based on what I've read on here recently the Esprit100 will most likely require an EQ6 class mount whereas the smaller scopes will be happy on an HEQ5..  Where will you be imaging..  home or dark site..  lighter equals more portable 

Good point. I'm on a HEQ5 shooting with a 650D both modded. I'll hopefully be getting out to dark skies as home viewing sucks. As I posted this question I started reading lots of SW ED80 comments again and that has got me thinking. Damn sight cheaper than the OTAs I have mentioned and portable. As a photographer of 30 years I can't believe how complicated this is. I went Nikon and bought the lenses I needed for that set up, end of story. The choices for AP is insane.

I'd also suggest the Esprit 80 ED Pro Triplet.. better colour correction than the SW Evostars (I assume) so better with a colour camera and good field of view with an APSC sensor (big enough for Andromeda)  Its worth having a look at the FOV using the Astronomy Tools website.  

• Thanks 1

• 2 weeks later...