Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

EQMOD

Hi Folks, 

After a day of pulling out what little hair I have left. I thought I'd appeal to the mercy of you life savers 

So I'm trying to set up my heq5 mount to be controlled directly from my laptop. I'm attempting to use carte du ceil as Stellarium just wasn't playing ball. I've installed ASCOM and have had some success but I'm aware that I need EQMOD. The problem is whenever I download EQMOD it downloads as ASCOM. Sorry if this is a silly question but where can I download EQMOD? 

I'd really appreciate it if anyone could help 

Thanks 

Simon 

I'm guessing you're on Windows?  Fwiw, I've found EKOS really good & user-friendly - I'm on Mac but I think EKOS can also be used on Windows (its INDI not ASCOM but there is a Windows bridge).  Good luck!

Edited by vineyard

And have a look at Chris Shillito's You Tube channel - he has a whole series of tutorials from installation to advanced usage.  Well worth the few hours (!) required to watch them all - you only need to watch the relevant ones as you learn your way around EQMOD.

Hi People, 

Update. OK so I got everything set up and working in the daytime, with the camera attached to the guidescope and focused on a pilon across the road. 

Night time.... Set up, switched on camera and fired up sharpcap. Did a basic polar alignment... So far so good. 

Can't get anything other than black on the screen. If I shine a torch across the guidescope it goes grey but that's it. 

I tried winding the focus right out and then slowly winding in, nothing. 

I tried uping the gain, again nothing. 

Tried altering contrast, brightness.... Nothing. 

Have to admit, I'm totally baffled. I don't give up easily but this really is frustrating. 

Im sure it's down to something simple, but I don't know what else to try. 

I've tried the camera in the main scope and attempted focusing that way, nothing. 

This must be down to settings? Any pointers would be greatly appreciated. 

Bit of a newb to this camera stuff so be gentle 😊

Thanks from a very cold and frustrated 😤 but enthusiastic stargazer

Simon 

Edited by Simon Dunsmore

Simon

First of all welcome from Land Down Under

I am now also using SynScan WiFi adapter on my EQ5Pro, and makes life lot easier controlling my mount

Download the SynScan APP to mobile phone, tablet or PC

The APP automatically sets your GPS location, date/time from our device

John

SynScan WiFi adapter.jpeg

Screen print SynScan App.jpg

Try focussing on something like Venus for a start (it is well placed around dusk as long as you have a view to the W or NW).  As it is so bright you should see something and be able to focus on it (You say you can focus in daylight on a distant object so this should work).  The slew the scope to a bright star and you should be able to see it.  Whack the gain right up for a start and increase the exposure time.  At worst you should be able to see a gray blob!  Then go from there lowering the gain a bit at a time.  Once you have the hang of it you should be able to slew around and find the brighter stars.

11 hours ago, Bizibilder said:

Try focussing on something like Venus for a start (it is well placed around dusk as long as you have a view to the W or NW).  As it is so bright you should see something and be able to focus on it (You say you can focus in daylight on a distant object so this should work).  The slew the scope to a bright star and you should be able to see it.  Whack the gain right up for a start and increase the exposure time.  At worst you should be able to see a gray blob!  Then go from there lowering the gain a bit at a time.  Once you have the hang of it you should be able to slew around and find the brighter stars.

Hi, 

Just thought I'd get back to you with a huge thank you. I did as you suggested. Eureka moment! I also used an eyepiece to get as close as could to focus and then switched this out for the camera. 

Next step is to use my new found ability to use Sharpcap for polar alignment. 

That's what I love about this hobby, the breakthroughs. 

If I could I'd buy you a cold one! 

Thanks again 

Simon