NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Mostly illuminated (08-03-20)

Yawning Angel

My moon app suggests this is 99.2% illuminated, day 1 of the full moon - so 'mostly illuminated' 

Some evenings it's hard not to feel like the weather is specifically being mean to you. The glorious clear sky to the west gave way to a bank of cloud in the east, hiding the moon on it's very edge when I set up. Ah, but that westerly wind will clear it up nicely, thought the poor, naive astro-imager! Nope, I watched for about an hour as cloud formed, just as it hit the moon. 

The battle of wills ended as the sky got bored of tormenting me, and graciously allowed 1000 frames each for RGB with little room to spare. Remarkably, the frame quality after a rinse through PIPP allowed for 20% stacks in AS!3

PixInsight handled aligned the 3 resulting frames, RGB combine and sharpening. PS then for Camera Raw Filter gently teased out a little colour and there you have it

Skywatcher ED80 (@510mm) / iOptron CEM60 / ZWO asi1600mm-pro / Baader RGB filters.

Moon 08-03-20.png

• Like 14

It is really good for an 80mm telescope. I have also used the same setup with the ASI1600 mono , RGB filters and PI processing but a different telescope. Without wanting to detract from your ability - you have load!, I suspect it is the camera that it is really good for this kind of images. Good work! Piero

• Thanks 1

34 minutes ago, pi_co100 said:

I suspect it is the camera that it is really good for this kind of images

Shush! Don’t tell everyone! 🤫

As my best result so far with this setup, I think it really helped to carefully refocus between filters