NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filter wheel issue

Hi all,

I got my new dedicated setup delivered yesterday and ran into some spacing problems when trying it out. Also found something on my scope that I had not noticed before. Maybe you lovely people can shed some light for me. 

First problem is that the filter wheel is much bigger then I was expecting. And if I attack it to my scope I run into a small problem since the cable gets stuck on the mount head when rotating. I removed the handle already but still poses a small problem. 

P_20200302_230833.thumb.jpg.ea45d92d549c463296323005a8004f5e.jpg

P_20200302_230808.thumb.jpg.d999c4a6fd6dcd6758d0ffa1eb97852e.jpg

I guess i could attach the spacers to the scope then attach the filter wheel further back but as you see in the picture I moved the focuser all the way back already not sure if this would not cause problems whit focusing. 

The second thing I noticed is that I can somehow turn the whole focusing part with no effort . Hard to explain but the part where the small arrow is can be turned left and right. Which would solve the issue since the filter wheel would be at a slight angle and not touch the head anymore. The question is. If this is normal behavior or should that not be happening? Thanks for your feedback. P_20200302_230844.thumb.jpg.ae3457da0e4e2e5ac897db7e6d711b89.jpg

Why have you got the filterwheel so far from the camera?

I was going to say the same thing?  

rotate it 189 degrees so it points up.

Yup, it will clash with the tripod having it that way up, but I guess you would find that out for yourself.

Carole 

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, Zakalwe said:

Why have you got the filterwheel so far from the camera? 

I could not attach the camera directly to the filterwheel due to lack of proper adapter. So I just took the spacer from the scope. I could take one out. Or take both out and get an adapter that let's me put the camera directly on the filterwheel

14 minutes ago, LordLoki said:

I could not attach the camera directly to the filterwheel due to lack of proper adapter. So I just took the spacer from the scope. I could take one out. Or take both out and get an adapter that let's me put the camera directly on the filterwheel

The FW is normally mounted to the camera or very near it, especially if you are using a focal reducer or field flattener. If it is too far away from the camera, and especially if you are using 1.25" filters then the filters may act as a field stop and intrude into the light cone. Get it mounted as close to the camera as possible.

There's no requirement to have it "hanging" down...you can mount the FW in any orientation. Just rotate it 180 degrees and it will solve your problems.

• Thanks 1

5 hours ago, LordLoki said:

The question is. If this is normal behavior or should that not be happening?

That's a hexafoc focuser, right? If so the thumb screw near the finder screw needs doing up. You loosen it to change the angle of the focuser and lock it once it is in your preferred position. 

3 hours ago, LordLoki said:

The thread between the focuser and extension is the same as between the extension and eyepiece clamp. If you can mount the wheel between focuser and extension you can probably mount it between extension and clamp, it depends how far in the eyepiece clamp protrudes. 

• Like 1

This forum is the most helpful place in the whole Internet. 

55 minutes ago, apophisOAS said:

Have you done your backfocus?

Roger

Not yet was raining outside will try out the gear over the weekend if weather allows. 

5 hours ago, Ricochet said:

That's a hexafoc focuser, right? If so the thumb screw near the finder screw needs doing up. You loosen it to change the angle of the focuser and lock it once it is in your preferred position.

Not sure if it's a hexafoc focuser but what you said sounds plausible. The scope is an explore scientific ed80

5 hours ago, Ricochet said:

The thread between the focuser and extension is the same as between the extension and eyepiece clamp. If you can mount the wheel between focuser and extension you can probably mount it between extension and clamp, it depends how far in the eyepiece clamp protrudes. 

Will have to check that when I'm home I actually did not try to put the eyepiece clamp onto the filterwheel directly. In my mind there was always one extension attached to the focuser when I got it but I might be wrong. 

8 hours ago, Zakalwe said:

The FW is normally mounted to the camera or very near it, especially if you are using a focal reducer or field flattener. If it is too far away from the camera, and especially if you are using 1.25" filters then the filters may act as a field stop and intrude into the light cone. Get it mounted as close to the camera as possible.

There's no requirement to have it "hanging" down...you can mount the FW in any orientation. Just rotate it 180 degrees and it will solve your problems.

I will rework the whole setup tomorrow was not reading up on this yesterday. Too exited to get everything attached :)

Was not sure if it does matter how far the camera is away from the filter. Just read that usually the 1600 needs a bit of backfocus. I use 2" filters thought it's better in case I ever get a full frame sensor. 

Thanks a lot to all who took the time to help already. One other thing came to mind. Can I leave the filters in the wheel if I leave it attached to the scope and cap it? Or is that not recommended? 

I leave my filters permanently in the wheel.  Taking them in and out rather defeats the purpose plus facilitates dust getting on the filters.  I leave my EFW attached to the camera one side and the flattener on the other side so the filters are only exposed if I change the set up.

Carole  

24 minutes ago, LordLoki said:

Will have to check that when I'm home I actually did not try to put the eyepiece clamp onto the filterwheel directly. In my mind there was always one extension attached to the focuser when I got it but I might be wrong. 

IMG_20171025_211617.thumb.jpg.054cabbea32dd2c3d21ca16c8a8ba80a.jpg

Just so you are aware, there is a small grub screw on the side of the clamp that needs loosening before you can unscrew the clamp from the extension. 

• Thanks 1

Looks like a ZWO camera, if the look up the handbook for your camera (on-line) there is a connectivity diagram of the camera and filter-wheel to the telescope. It also gives the backspacing requirements. Good luck with your rebuild.