Astrophotography and Windy weather

smr

Hi all,

Seems like ages since I have done any imaging. I think the last imaging was right back in the middle of January or so. February was a no go, the weather having been really poor with all the stormy weather we've been having, if isn't rain it's wind, if it's not wind the Moon is out etc.

Last night was nice and clear, but still quite breezy. Tonight the forecast looks promising in terms of a clear night, the problem is the wind is due to be around 10-12mph... so how much wind is too much? Is the only way to negate the effects of wind by imaging with shorter subs or is it best not to shoot with 10mph+ winds?

1 minute ago, david_taurus83 said:

Depends on how sturdy the mount is and how big the scope is. I used to stick my AZEQ6 out in all sorts of breezes but it only had a short frac on there.

Thanks for the reply. It would 430mm Z73 refractor and HEQ5 Pro Mount.

12mph doesn't sound too bad if you can keep out of the worst of it.Ā  The less obvious problem is that it plays havoc with the seeing, so imaging at high resolution won't work out. Low res setups are much less affected.

Olly

• Like 1

18 minutes ago, smr said:

is it best not to shoot with 10mph+ winds?

Assuming gusts are not to bad a mean speed of 10mph is ok - and anyway how many nights will you get per year waiting for "perfect" conditions. IMO go for it and see what you get - you never know it might not be as bad as you think especially if you can "hide" from the wind. šŸ™‚

• Like 1

Depending how your imaging area is set up ......

Ā I find that having a few hefty tarpaulins that can be strung up around theĀ  scopeĀ  on bungys does help cut outĀ  thoseĀ  fickleĀ  gustsĀ  thatĀ  squeeze their way through any available gapsĀ  in the garden.Ā  Ā With suitable tie -in points you can create a littleĀ  haven in a matter of minutes.

Edited by Craney