Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Astro Fi 6 SCT OTA vs Evolution 6 SCT OTA - any differences?

Ags

Hi, my supplier has proposed substituting an Astro Fi 6 OTA for the Evolution 6 OTA I ordered. Are there any differences to be aware of? The Fi looks lighter which is a strong point in its favor, and it's black which is also a plus. But does Celestron cut any corners with the budget oriented Fi OTA?

Interestingly, Celestron state on the link I gave above that the Fi mount max load is 3.6 kgs... When writing these specs, do they just roll dice?

Edited by Ags

Look at this thread, and the C6 ota is 4kg.  It's possible that the  astro fi and se tubes could  be a little lighter, perhaps using thinner aluminium to keep the weights down to match with the mounts.  A higher grade of components could explain the higher price of the C6 ota ?

andrew

• 3 months later...
On 07/03/2020 at 16:09, Ags said:

My first impressions of the 3.3 kg Fi 6 are very favorable. But I need a bit more time with it...

Hi Ags,

Coming back to this now - what's your thoughts having lived with it? 

I'm very curious still about the weight of the tube - did you get a definitive answer? 

How does it perform optically? 

How does the wifi perform? (I've read mixed reviews of this)

Seems pretty good! Overall happy. It has been awesome for DSOs and Lunar. Adding a 0.63 reducer improved it - giving both wider fields and better high magnification views. It needs regular collimation though. It's worked out fine on the AZ GTi - I only got the Fi tube not the mount. The weight is 3.3 kilograms.

Only weak spot has been double stars - not the best star shapes and not very clean separation between tight pairs.

Edited by Ags

• 1 month later...