NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Filters

I would save your money on these if I were you. A variable polarising filter will be more useful to start with I think, certainly on the Moon and Venus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

I use a Baader Neodymium filter but they are pretty pricey. You might pick one up used 

The orange filter states that it assists in detecting dust storms on Mars.....I find that very hard to believe. Be wary of low priced items that promise much, an unfortunate aspect of this hobby is that for quality you need to dig deep 😥

Edited by Jiggy 67

2 hours ago, Stu said:

I would save your money on these if I were you. A variable polarising filter will be more useful to start with I think, certainly on the Moon and Venus.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/moon-neutral-density-filters/astro-essentials-variable-polarising-moon-filter.html

I use a Baader Neodymium filter but they are pretty pricey. You might pick one up used 

Never used them before I take it that sit over the eyepiece just wondering so I don't buy wrong size 

13 minutes ago, R.frankish said:

Never used them before I take it that sit over the eyepiece just wondering so I don't buy wrong size 

I assume you use 1.25" eyepieces, in particular when observing the planets or moon? Normal practise with a refractor is to put one element on the barrel of the diagonal and one on thebeyepiece barrel, then turning the eyepiece adjusts the brightness level. I think you have a newt, which won't have a diagonal so I'm not sure how that is best done.

Perhaps a short 1.25" extension to hold one part of the filter and then the other on the eyepiece?

Anyone else use one of these with a newt?

On 29/02/2020 at 09:10, Mr Spock said:

Same here. Other colour filters are quite useless to me. Mostly I prefer no filter.

The only colour filter I use is a #47 (violet)... for viewing Venus. I don't go for the other colour ones. I think it is hype to boost profits rather than visual... I maybe wrong... 😜

Other than that, I use a polarising filter or the Baader Contrast & Neodymium and/or the Explore Scientific CLS, UHC, Olll filters... 🧐

Edited by Philip R