NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

I've Broken my Mount

Last night setup and successfully calibrated my StarSense AutoAlign with NexStar 8se, Hooray.

But while realigning later, I stood  on the power cord while it was slewing and snap.

The power cord ripped out of the socket and broke, so now I have no power.

On inspection today I took of the cover off where the power switch and socket is, and I now need to find a socket like the one shown.

Any help would be appreciated.

s-l640.jpg

s-l640.png

Edited by Mick H

Is it a jack plug an socket or a din type ? It doesn’t really matter which type you use as all you need is to make a connection to your mount. The important thing is the diameter of the socket and if you have the space inside the mount to fit it. You should be able to fix it without too much trouble.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, banjaxed said:

Is it a jack plug an socket or a din type ? It doesn’t really matter which type you use as all you need is to make a connection to your mount. The important thing is the diameter of the socket and if you have the space inside the mount to fit it. You should be able to fix it without too much trouble.

Thanks banjaxed, It's the jack type socket.

I just need to find the replacement and probably do a bit of soldering.

So p..... with myself. 😠

Edited by Mick H

The jack socket is the size used on various mounts. It is a 2.1mm (inner) 5.5mm (outer).   I'm surprised that you managed to break the socket rather than the plug or lead, though, as the socket seems relatively robust.

I thought of changing the jack socket on my C8 SE mount because it was making poor connections, and got as far as buying a replacement socket from the now-defunct Maplin, but I found I could not find a box spanner slim enough to undo the outer nut, so had to give up and find another solution. These sockets often cause trouble with poor connections.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

I'm surprised that you managed to break the socket rather than the plug or lead,

I did break the plug aswell Geoff, but I have a spare.

I have ordered off amazon, so hope these are correct. 

There is 10 of them. 🤪

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D4DLJ69/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

22 minutes ago, Mick H said:

I did break the plug aswell Geoff, but I have a spare.

I have ordered off amazon, so hope these are correct. 

There is 10 of them. 🤪

https://www.amazon.co.uk/gp/product/B07D4DLJ69/ref=ppx_yo_dt_b_asin_title_o00_s00?ie=UTF8&psc=1

That should cover you for a further 9 accidents 😀

• Haha 1

There are two main types of DC plug/socket connectors like that:

5.5x2.1mm and 5.5x2.5mm (the 2.1 and 2.5 is the diameter of the centre pin). Obviously the bigger plug won't fit into the smaller socket but the reverse can happen which results in a very poor/intermittent connection.

I also bought 10 similar from eBay a while ago, and they were a mix so you may get lucky. The seller wasn't even aware.

Just a note, they are pretty poor quality connectors, don't keep your soldering iron on them for too long otherwise they will melt, just dab them quickly.

In the end I ended up paying the same price per connector from a different seller and never regretted it.

• Thanks 1

On 29/02/2020 at 14:25, StuartJPP said:

Just a note, they are pretty poor quality connectors

Got my mount back today all fixed, my friend who repairs computer and electronic equipment done (thanks Luke) for me.

And you were right Stuart, they are poor quality.

I hope I don't break it again. 😟

14 hours ago, Mick H said:

Got my mount back today all fixed, my friend who repairs computer and electronic equipment done (thanks Luke) for me.

And you were right Stuart, they are poor quality.

I hope I don't break it again. 😟

Hi Mick, glad you got it fixed. Maybe you could try and route the cable in such a way that it is less likely to get in the way.

• Thanks 1

Thanks banjaxed, yes good idea, and already done that last night.

But i think I'm going to buy one of these next month,

TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack

Then attach it to the mount.

2 hours ago, Mick H said:

Thanks banjaxed, yes good idea, and already done that last night.

But i think I'm going to buy one of these next month,

TalentCell Rechargeable 36W 12V/6000mAh 5V/12000mAh DC Output Lithium Ion Battery Pack

Then attach it to the mount.

Sounds like a very good idea  👍

• Like 1

Rapid Electronics based in Colchester (Internet order)  sell them for around £1.50 + VAT + P & P. Realise you have fixed, but this supplier is worth knowing as they stock 40,000 products.

Edited by noah4x4
  • Thanks 1

33 minutes ago, noah4x4 said:

Rapid Electronics based in Colchester (Internet order)  sell them for around £1.50 + VAT + P & P. Realise you have fixed, but this supplier is worth knowing as they stock 40,000 products.

Looks like a great website/retailer. Thanks for the headsup