Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

skywatcher star adventurer pro

Fieldsy

Hi all  I've just purchased a star pro to work with my dslr I have and wanted to know what tripod you use with yours or what one you would recommend.prefer a mobile setup.

Many thanks

Edited by Fieldsy

• 2 weeks later...

Hello.  I purchased a surveyor's tripod from Home Depot for $65 and found it is ideal for mounting the Sky-Watcher Star Adventurer EQ base.  The tripod includes pointed feet which on grass or soil can be lightly pressed down and provide a firm foundation.  To view, go to: https://www.homedepot.com/p/DEWALT-Construction-Tripod-DW0737/302080428

Clear skies....

Oldskaterman

Another Horizon 8115 user here. Modified, albeit. 

I've removed the entire telescopic pan tilt head assembly and bolted on the SW latitude base in it's place.

Steady but not very mobile with the 5kg ballast bolted to the base, though. 

I'm surprised not more people use Surveyors or Contstruction tripods, they look pretty sturdy and cane take some weight. Maybe its because you need to modify the mounting thread to a 3/8".  Even seen some vintage wooden ones on Ebay.

4 hours ago, MarkAR said:

I'm surprised not more people use Surveyors or Contstruction tripods, they look pretty sturdy and cane take some weight. Maybe its because you need to modify the mounting thread to a 3/8".  Even seen some vintage wooden ones on Ebay.

The majority are cheap light aluminium ones that come with rotating lasers. The good ones are the yellow Leica wooden ones used with total stations (theodolites). Real good heavy duty tripods, good for heavy total stations but I reckon if you put a mount and scope on there with a long moment arm, they would flex without a central spreader between the legs.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, david_taurus83 said:

The majority are cheap light aluminium ones that come with rotating lasers. The good ones are the yellow Leica wooden ones used with total stations (theodolites). Real good heavy duty tripods, good for heavy total stations but I reckon if you put a mount and scope on there with a long moment arm, they would flex without a central spreader between the legs.

I suppose its all down to how much DIY you're capable of.  Chains would work for spreaders or a custom made ridgid attachment.