Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Case for scope

Why?  Are you planning to travel via airlines with them as checked baggage?  The cost of true flight quality aluminum cases would be more than your telescopes.  The cheap ones from China only have metal at the edges.  The textured shiny parts in between are actually textured plastic and are easily punctured.

I would look for large plastic totes, sealing or non-sealing, your choice, if you have a need to stack heavy weight on your scopes in storage at home.  If nothing is going to be compressing them, simply wrap them in bubble wrap and put them in a large duffle bag or tripod/light-stand/gig case and stand them on end in a closet.

20 hours ago, Anthony1979 said:

Its so i can store them safe in a cupboard without them getting damaged or dusty

As long as you keep dust caps on both ends of your OTA (and a plug in the focuser for Newts), you should be good for preventing dust intrusion.  I've seen folks using shower caps for this purpose if their scope didn't come with end caps.  Dust on the outside is of no importance, and shouldn't be much of an issue anyway in a closet/cupboard.

As far as damage prevention, bubble wrap is surprising good for this purpose.  I've had an ST80 in a gym bag wrapped in bubble wrap near the bottom of the closet for 20+ years, and it has nary a single ding or dent and the focuser works fine.  I was a bit concerned at first in the 90s, but time has proven my worries to be unfounded.  When I put my daughter's camping telescope kit together, I bought a 22" long duffel/gym bag and wrapped her 127 Mak in bubble wrap before putting it in the main compartment.  I then wrapped the finder scope in bubble wrap and put it in a side pocket.  Other pockets hold various accessories.  It's worked out pretty well for her.  She loves the fact I picked out a purple bag (her favorite color) as well.

• Like 1

Yes, absolutely true, "proper" flight cases in suitable sizes (long and narrow) for telescopes are more expensive than the scopes, and often quite heavy too.  As has been said on here, their sturdy construction of plywood covered in aluminium with bound corners and edges are built to withstand rough treatment and stacking.

The attractive looking flight cases for far less money (eg from Amazon), are rubbish by comparison.  Constructed usually from hardboard covered in a plastic imitation aluminium look surface they look very similar, but are very fragile indeed.  Ok in smaller sizes for lightweight equipment like cameras, when used carefully, but  the larger/longer sizes bulge and twist from just the weight of a large heavy scope.  The handles and clasps look the part, but on closer inspection are very thin metal or even chromed plastic.

FijiDave's suggestion of the plastic Christmas tree box is a great find for telescope storage, I'm buying a couple for myself !

When I searched around I bought a nice padded bag for my 120 Evostar refractor from Amazon, which was being sold as a 47 inch long "padded tripod bag" for £20.  It holds it quite nicely when carried around or stored in a cupboard, but would be unsuitable if entrusted to carriers or airlines.

https://www.amazon.co.uk/HWAMART-Tripod-padded-1680D-Shoulder/dp/B0744J8GDH

Another alternative is to buy a secondhand genuine flight case from Fleabay.  They can be had for around £50, although long narrow ones are rarer.

I bought a used case for my Celestron C8 SCT for £40, that was originally made for a professional plate camera.  It was very strongly made from aluminium covered 8mm plywood, (and probably cost ridiculous money), and was easy to adapt for my C8 with foam "chocks" and a foam rubber lining.

c8 flight case.jpg

Edited by Astro-Geek
spelling.... (again.... )
  • Like 1
  • Thanks 1