NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Orion with 200mm Takumar

Magnum

Playing in Orion with the Takumar 200mm f4 lens again last night, quite pleased with the results at F5.6. This is 13 x 10 min subs in Ha with my Atik 383L CCD. I did same framing a couple of weeks ago but were quite washed out by the moon, this time its produced a much deeper image of the surrounding nebulosity. Ive never imaged Orion so many times in one season before but trying to get the best I can with different combinations with the limited number of clear nights, needed a bit more date really but Orion is going behind my trees by 10pm now.  Guided, captured, stacked & DDP in MaximDL, processed in photoshop.

I did try step down rings last week to eliminate star spikes but wasn't happy with the vignetting they introduced so decided to live with the spikes.

Lee

Ha4.jpg

• Like 19

6 hours ago, Gina said:

I use my lenses at full aperture.

Hi Gina, i looked through your thread a couple of weeks ago regarding takumar lenses and the triple rig you made. I did try mine wide open but i seemed to get dodgy looking stars, though it may have been partly focus wasnt perfect, maybe i should try wide open again.
lee

• Like 1

Class..

Nice widefied framing of the lens combined with low noise of the ccd gives the image a uniqueness to it..

In HA too

Love it..

Must be loads of targets on the hit list, veil, North American,  heart n soul maybe the spaggetti  but sure it be still more than 1 pane

• Like 1

7 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

Hi Lee, yes the same lens. I’m currently trying to get my EFW2 between it and the 383 at the right spacing. 

That will be tricky, there isnt much back-focus to work with, I decided to just go with the geoptic adapter which has 1.25” filter holder built in and manually swap the filters if needed.

you will have 5-6mm to play with.

33 minutes ago, Magnum said:

That will be tricky, there isnt much back-focus to work with, I decided to just go with the geoptic adapter which has 1.25” filter holder built in and manually swap the filters if needed.

you will have 5-6mm to play with.

It’s very tight, I should have the adapter ready this week so hopefully it works

14 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It’s very tight, I should have the adapter ready this week so hopefully it works

Can I ask which adapters you have bought? I presume you are getting a 1.5mm thin Nikon - m42 adapter then a m42 - t2, though most of those on eBay are the wrong way round, we need female m42 - male t2, the only one I found was 6mm thick so would be touch and go wether i could achieve focus. One thing that may help is m42 can be forced with little effort into T2 threads, obviously we wouldn't want to do this with our filter wheel or camera, but we could permanently screw a thin t2 spacer onto the  m42 threads, the only things that risk damage are the t spacer and the Nikon - m42 adapter both of which only cost a few pounds. ive tried it on adapters I have here and they go on with little effort at all.

3 minutes ago, Magnum said:

Can I ask which adapters you have bought? I presume you are getting a 1.5mm thin Nikon - m42 adapter then a m42 - t2, though most of those on eBay are the wrong way round, we need female m42 - male t2, the only one I found was 6mm thick so would be touch and go wether i could achieve focus. One thing that may help is m42 can be forced with little effort into T2 threads, obviously we wouldn't want to do this with our filter wheel or camera, but we could permanently screw a thin t2 spacer onto the  m42 threads, the only things that risk damage are the t spacer and the Nikon - m42 adapter both of which only cost a few pounds. ive tried it on adapters I have here and they go on with little effort at all.

It’s a custom made adapter, M54 threaded on the outside of it to go into the EFW. The EFW plate is 3mm thick and i can go through by 2mm and still clear the filters. I have gained 5mm here.

I will post a picture up of it. 

47 minutes ago, tooth_dr said:

It’s a custom made adapter, M54 threaded on the outside of it to go into the EFW. The EFW plate is 3mm thick and i can go through by 2mm and still clear the filters. I have gained 5mm here.

I will post a picture up of it. 

ok im using the Atik EFW1 which only has t2 threads, but is nice and thin at 20mm and pretty light.