Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Which Solar filter would show the best results?

Just 🤔 thinking which solar filter would yield the best results visually from my setups. 

I have at my disposal an 80mm ED refractor with an 1 1/4 inch Hershel wedge. 

Also a 127 mm Maksutov with two filters. A Seymour solar filter with a glass sandwich plus a Kendrick solar filter which is just the filter film. Both housed in a cell that fits on the front end of the Maksutov. 

Would the 80 mm refractor setup show the best detail? Or would the larger apature Maksutov with the filters setup win the day. 

This is not really a true comparison as I know apature usually wins. Perhaps it may well be that a true comparison should be between a 127 mm refractor versus a 127 mm Maksutov. But I have at my disposal the instruments mentioned. I am interested in your thoughts and experiences. 

( Note trying to teach you how to suck eggs. But Just to add that it is not appropriate to use a Hershel wedge on any telescope other than a refractor for safety reasons). 

Edited by Guest

Results could vary on a given day, each telescope is potentially good.  A good 80mm is very adequate for white light observation and a HW is accepted as giving the best performance.  As you have both options, the comparison is there for you to choose.    😀

I suspect it would be between the 80mm/Herschel Wedge and the 127mm with the Kendrick film filter. I'm not a fan of glass filters because they are not accurately ground glass and inevitably don't have the accuracy needed to show the best detail at high powers. Simple answer would be to suck it and see! If seeing is good the 127mm might win, but I bet the 80mm is a very good and consistent option.

5 hours ago, Stu said:

I suspect it would be between the 80mm/Herschel Wedge and the 127mm with the Kendrick film filter. I'm not a fan of glass filters because they are not accurately ground glass and inevitably don't have the accuracy needed to show the best detail at high powers. Simple answer would be to suck it and see! If seeing is good the 127mm might win, but I bet the 80mm is a very good and consistent option.

Thanks Stu. Interesting point about the glass quality figuring. 

Just on a practical level the Mak will require extremely good seeing to give satisfying views, I reckon Martin. Particularly when activity is limited like now. I used Baader solar film with a 105mm Mak when I started out, but got far more use out of a 1.25” wedge and ED80 that I moved onto later. 

• Like 1

I have the Lunt Herschel Wedge (1.25”) and a Thousand Oaks glass solar filter that I use with my TeleVue Ranger, (image below).

IMG_0675.thumb.JPG.d35db4742dbd9aa1808b501956a0ba0f.JPG

Personally I would go with the Herschel Wedge/refractor combination. My glass filter is showing signs of age now, (twelve years old), by showing minute pinpricks to the coating when I hold it up to a bright light-source before use and I no longer use it.

I prefer the orange disc from the glass filter then the green disc I get with the Herschel Wedge and additional filters*...

th.jpg.fcfaa4dcacf736d91ea956f2539599f2.jpg.dab0cd602233d84d5ec9f005cbfbdfc7.jpg<--- I think I have been ‘Tangoed’.

* the additional filters are the Baader Solar Continuum filter and Baader Polarising filter, (available from FLO or Baader Planetarium direct and other resellers) - the Herschel Wedge has a built-in ND3.0 filter.

Edited by Philip R