Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rigel Finder position.

Hi all,

Upon uncovering my scope last night i found that my Rigel finder had come unstuck and was on the floor. I was considering moving it anyway as I had it the opposite side of the finder scope which meant i was quite a large lean over the tube to view through it. Ideally I would have liked it between the focuser and right angle finder however this is not possible on an 8" dob. Any suggestions on the best place to mount the Rigel folks?

Another point would be what did you use to stick it on the tube? I dont want it falling off again. 

In regard to using the Rigel, How far away from the lens should you be beofer you see the two red targets? I am roughly 6-8" back from it before I can see them.

Thank you

Baz

It's mostly prefrence put it where u feel it's most comfortable. 6 to 8 inches seems about right u could be futher but u have to be looking straight through the glass.

When I installed the base I always put lots pressure on all sides making sure it sticks for like 30 secs and I dont have a issue.  Once in awhile while walking around I just make sure the base is still secure.  I just reapply pressure again if u r like me and keep them in house, it's no big deal to do

Joejaguar 

• Thanks 1

Or you could go for a multiposition finder base in your current base:

spacer.png

And get a dovetail to QuikFinder adapter:

spacer.png

So you can mount both the RACI and QuikFinder on the same dovetail foot.

I did this recently and added a green laser sight in the third position on a dovetail to Picatinny rail adapter:

spacer.png

I'll have to take a picture sometime of the whole setup on my 90mm refractor.

5 hours ago, Barry-W-Fenner said:

Hi all,

Upon uncovering my scope last night i found that my Rigel finder had come unstuck and was on the floor. I was considering moving it anyway as I had it the opposite side of the finder scope which meant i was quite a large lean over the tube to view through it. Ideally I would have liked it between the focuser and right angle finder however this is not possible on an 8" dob. Any suggestions on the best place to mount the Rigel folks?

Another point would be what did you use to stick it on the tube? I don't want it falling off again. 

In regard to using the Rigel, How far away from the lens should you be before you see the two red targets? I am roughly 6-8" back from it before I can see them.

Thank you

Baz

I have mine in the same position as you and don't have a problem with it as I just go round to the side it's on. Join a couple of cable ties together and use them to prevent it falling off.

• 2 weeks later...

I have mine sat on top of the finderscope. I started a thread on here about the mods i have done to my dob. I will see if i can find the link as it shows a picture of where my rigel sits.

Found the link

Edited by Chefgage