Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Easy ARP's

jetstream

A recent interest is observing the odd galaxies in Halton Arps catalogue so tonight I targeted three of them, Arp6, Arp 155 and Arp 280. These are all very easy actually even if their unique features don't open up. The favorite tonight was Arp 6 or NGC 2537 the Bear Paw galaxy. Easily seen using the 24" and HDC 20mm the object showed the bright sections defining the "paw" using 287x, quite unique.

The others wanted more mag but the -30c temps made frost on my primary so a heat gun got rid of it....and this did not allow high power viewing, which some of these galaxies need to show some of their features. 410x was tried and the galaxies were more easily seen but no more features appeared tonight.

IC 443 was also targeted and in this scope was really easy, zero challenge and the nod goes to the Lumicon UHC in this scope. The Jellyfish was bright tonight.

I got the Sky Commander figured out and its encoder for cold weather use- turn the SC on before venturing out in the cold and the heaters will keep up and a quick blast with the heat gun on the AZ encoder kept it working for an hour and a half in -30c.

Much much more observed and the highlight was Arp 6 a peculiar looking galaxy, almost planetary nebula like.

Edited by jetstream
  • Like 7

Just think, at -30C if you started imaging you wouldn't need a cooler on your camera! Sorry...bad joke, typical of me👍 

Heat gun, that's getting serious, but options are probably limited for defrosting in those temps. 

I'm wondering if my SW Synscan has Arp's in the catalogue, or find an NGC number if available I suppose, or do it properly and star hop?

Arp 6 sounds quite interesting. Doubt I'd see it tonight from home with the local LP, but Monday night is looking like the real deal, so if it's not too windy, it's a trip with the big dob to the dark sky site. 

I set up the 500p at dusk tonight and...it's been cloudy ever since. Killed some time going through Uranometria and S&T/Stellarium.

Met Office claiming it will be clear from 11pm (now) until 2am. Ventusky is showing clear around midnight to 1am. Moon rises around 12:30, so I'll have to work fast. Trying for Lower's Nebula and a few other targets on up to M35, then maybe over to the Eskimo PN. Will be a short session tonight by the time it clears, but will be late by the time I've put everything away.

Keep finding these interesting DSOs! I'd never heard of Arp until today. I love this hobby, so much to learn and read about, even if the weather isn't cooperating. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, Ships and Stars said:

Keep finding these interesting DSOs!

I feel this is a group effort, many interesting things have been recommended to me by @estwing and @mapstar including the MUST see Hickson 55 in Draco. I absolutely love this one. It needs piles of mag and I use orthos and now Delos. I now use the SC to maximize observing time, star hopping works and I respect those that do.

Reiner Vogels site has great charts/Info as does Alvin Huey on FaintFuzzies. I got the Pn nebs suggestions from one of these by Massimo Zecchin.

Eagerly waiting reports!

ps try the Jellyfish in Gemini tonight...

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1

From Vogel: Hickson 55

"22" f/4:  one of the highlights of the Hickson catalog, though not easy.  Starting from NGC 3735, the chain is quite obvious with indirect vision, though difficult to split into single galaxies. After extended observation three, sometimes four knots could be separated with averted vision, but could not be held steadily.  Very difficult group that is nevertheless worth the effort of trying to get to your limits "

This one showed really well for me and I have viewed it repeatedly, now a favorite goto object, conditions considered. @Ships and Stars get that 10BCO/VIP on this one IMHO.

• Like 1
  • Thanks 1

Thanks for the info Gerry - I have my work cut out for me and getting lots of good sites from you and others, SGL is brilliant. Hopefully after I get a bit more experience I can point others towards some interesting DSOs. I just broke down the 500p and am catching my breath (literally). No nebulae tonight, but did tuck into some galaxies around Leo. Seeing was poor overall (could barely see M108 before I swung over to Leo) so pleased with what I did see, around nine or ten new galaxies. Will try and do an observing report tomorrow. Was picking the low-hanging galactic fruit in Leo by cruising through with the 21E and didn't bother setting up goto, just raci and start fishing. Would like to spend more time teasing out details. Don't think the 300p would have shown much tonight through the thin haze, so glad I went with the fuss of setting up the 500.

The more I look into them, the galaxies are just mind-boggling, the sheer number, the distances and the size.  

Out to a proper dark sky site on Monday, fingers crossed, I will need to print off a list and hope my GOTO is in a good mood.

FLO is apparently out of the 10mm BCO or awaiting more - are you working on commission? 🤣

Good luck out there tonight if your weather holds.

• Like 3

48 minutes ago, Ships and Stars said:

Good luck out there tonight if your weather holds.

Just in from a sauna, the Harvia works great- may as well as it is starting to snow.

Commission? I wish lol! its cost me a lot of money sorting through things and I do relate what I find. I can see why they are out of them, they work, plain old work and for such a low price.

Congrats for pulling out some galaxies under challenging conditions- the Leo Triplet is such a great target. There are places to observe- galaxy clusters- that will boggle your mind, they boggle my mind..

Seyferts Sextet should be on your list! another mesmerizing set of galaxies set around a pile of them, also known a Hickson 79- check out  nearby ARP 172 aka IC 1178 the number your 20" will show in the EP will amaze. Of course we have to wait for this one to come around.

But, UMa is climbing.....

• Like 1

Tbh we never  got ideal observing conditions when hunting Hicksons 55...but whenever are there.?..🙄

On first being told about the UMa by @swamp thing I almost dismissed it until reaching a good dark sky spot. Its ridiculous how busy it is in there!!!...and they just spill out the bowl!..happy hunting Guys.

• Like 3

9 hours ago, jetstream said:

From Vogel: Hickson 55

"22" f/4:  one of the highlights of the Hickson catalog, though not easy.  Starting from NGC 3735, the chain is quite obvious with indirect vision, though difficult to split into single galaxies. After extended observation three, sometimes four knots could be separated with averted vision, but could not be held steadily.  Very difficult group that is nevertheless worth the effort of trying to get to your limits "

This one showed really well for me and I have viewed it repeatedly, now a favorite goto object, conditions considered. @Ships and Stars get that 10BCO/VIP on this one IMHO.

Nice read Gerry. The arps have some excellent and interesting targets. I've viewed 55 quite a few times and I follow the exact same as above.

NGC 3735 is quite easy to find and way bigger than all 5 galaxies in the Hickson 55 chain. Probably deeper top to bottom than the full length of the chain!

Seeing is really critical to pull out the cores and I've only ever confirmed 4. 

I enjoy the star hopping but at -30°C I'd definitely want to get there as quickly as possible. It's a wonder your eyepiece cup isn't frozen to your face 🥶.

I went down to a 4.7Ethos but found the conditions best supported the 8E to pull out the detail. 

Sadly it's been a year since I viewed it. Work, weather and new moon opportunities have been seriously lacking. Looks like next weeks star party also cancelled although the weather again is going to be dreadful. Just give us some of that -30°C crystal clear sky and I'm there! (Down clothing essential) 

Hickson 61 (the box) also frames up nice in the eyepiece with 4 totally different galaxies in the view. 

Edited by mapstar
  • Like 2

6 hours ago, mapstar said:

Hickson 61 (the box) also frames up nice in the eyepiece with 4 totally different galaxies in the view. 

Thanks Damian, I just put it on the list with Copelands Septet.  Looked up some Abell clusters- gonna go for the Abell Leo cluster soon, weather permitting.

1 hour ago, jetstream said:

Thanks Damian, I just put it on the list with Copelands Septet.  Looked up some Abell clusters- gonna go for the Abell Leo cluster soon, weather permitting.

Fantastic...abell 426 is a great challenge for me...perseus cluster....taken from Uranometria 2000.0 all sky edition.

20200215_184649.jpg

20200215_184455.jpg

• Like 1