NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Dew management advice

Afternoon everyone

I need some advice on a dew management setup?

I'm at a loss as to what to buy, and to avoid buying incompatible devices, cables and plugs?

I have a SW AZ-EQ6 mount, powered by MAINS.

I am trying to get into AP, so will have a SW ED80 on the mount, alongside the stock 9x50 finderscope, which will serve as the guidescope with a ASI120MM or ASI290MM.

I want to get dew straps for both, with a controller, but also have in mind the PEGASUS pocket box and possibly the ZWO ASIAir box, both of which, I think, can power the straps?

So, when I buy the 2 dew straps, 20cm & 40cm, what sort of connectors should I look at? and should I get a 2 channel controller, that will be redundant when I get a Pegasus?

Are there Dew Straps powered by USB at all?

Can someone please guide me as to what to buy?

Many thanks

I think most dew heaters have a phono type plug on the end which connects to a dew controller.  The dew controller is normally powered 12V. 

The W&W dew heaters I bought to replace my first ones where the cables started to break are much more substantial and can be found here.  

https://dewheater.com/

W&W are a couple of Astronomers who decided to start up a dew heater business, just tell them what the circumference is of your scopes (you'll need one for the guide camera as well).  They don't sell the dew controllers but know a "man who does", they were both at Astrofest together selling their kit, so Barbara (the vendor) can point you in the right direction for that. 

Unless you have the "PEGASUS pocket box and possibly the ZWO ASIAir box" available you'll need to get the dew controller for now.  

I haven't heard of any dew heaters that can be powered by USB. 

Carole

Edited by carastro
  • Like 2

Yes I agree with Carole. The W&W dew heaters are really good. I have a few of them. Mine do plug into a controller I got from FLO which is controlled by USB (not powered by USB) and is handy to remote control the current delivered to each strap.

The controller is Lynx Astro 4 Port Dew Controller with DSLR Power Supply 

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/dew-prevention/lynx-astro-4-port-dew-controller-with-dslr-power-supply.html

Although there are others without the dslr power output. Have a look and make your choice.

• Like 1

I advised Mo (Marmo) to get these at astro fest, and he bought exactly what you need including the controller from the seller who shared the stall with W&W (referred to above) for £109. Could have been a slight discount for Astrofest. 

Carole 

Edited by carastro
  • Like 1

I have very similar scope and guidescope setup to you @oymd and the dew straps and controllers I linked to in your Wanted thread are the ones I use. Work very well and I forget they are there when imaging. I got the quad channel just in case as the price difference was minimal.

I was also in same boat as you in terms of getting a controller or not but considering how cheap they are and that it can always be sold on if required meant I just got a controller anyway. Make sure you read the small instructions that come with them and they are very easy to use. 

The straps come with long durable leads and so can be moved to the side and away from other cables.

• Like 1

Thanks to everyone for the advice on this thread. 
I have contacted Tim and ordered the 4 way controller and 40cm strap. 
20cm is sold out at both Tim & Barbara. Will probably get another brand 20cm for the time being. 
thanks again.