Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Venus Clouds 8th Feb 2020

lukebl

Following on from my Venus image on the 5th February, Here is another one from 8th Feb. Note the interesting bright patch on the limb near the equator.

Baader U-filter, 3x Televue Barlow, Omegon RC8 (effective focal length 4800) and an Altair GPCAMv2 130 Mono camera. 3000 frames stacked in Registax.

Unfortunately, as I explained in the other post, the images are very soft due to the long exposures required with my camera and this filter (1/4 second). However, it's pleasing that real features are still discernible. The clouds rotate around the planet every 4 days, even though the planet itself rotates once every 243 days.

49510571971_a2cf5f63a0_b.jpg

• Like 9
  • Thanks 1

Excellent images Luke. 

I was observing Venus on Jan 18th while trying out a new eyepiece and again on Feb 4th using my binoviewer and parks gold super plossl's with Ultima barlow. I almost always see some very subtle detail, but sketching it always makes it look more intense than it actually appears in the eyepiece. No filters were used in my observation. I find it interesting and reassuring to see similarities between your images and the view I get through my telescope. Thanks for posting your images!

512892442_2020-02-0915_13_05.thumb.jpg.030bd7332e725fc57a7440d3bbf9ca5d.jpg1745119367_2020-02-0915_13_59.thumb.jpg.bf41e1b7188765fdd3442f697f60df3d.jpg

• Like 4

59 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Excellent images Luke. 

I was observing Venus on Jan 18th while trying out a new eyepiece and again on Feb 4th using my binoviewer and parks gold super plossl's with Ultima barlow. I almost always see some very subtle detail, but sketching it always makes it look more intense than it actually appears in the eyepiece. No filters were used in my observation. I find it interesting and reassuring to see similarities between your images and the view I get through my telescope. Thanks for posting your images!

Impressive sketches! I didn't realise that it was possible to see such detail.

Many years ago there was serious debate about the visibility of cloud detail on Venus. Patrick Moore was definitely among the doubters, at least initially, as he saw nothing but a silver/white surface. Richard Baum on the other hand, a very experienced planetary observer and author, saw detail will little trouble. The two were on opposing sides of the debate until Patrick, Richard and a third member of the party who worked at a laboratory somewhere near Chester, organized an experiment to test the visual sensitivity of the three in relation to UV light. It turned out Patrick was not sensitive to UV, Richard was much more sensitive and the third member had sensitivity somewhere between the two extremes. At the end of it Patrick became a believer even though he still couldn't detect detail on Venus cloud tops. 

Here's a pic of Richard taken at his home in Chester when I and Paulastro visited him in February 2017. He sadly passed away later that year, but was always a great inspiration to me as his planetary sketches are unsurpassed IMHO.

P2270293a.thumb.jpg.fd1ccced982b3ef1174bf072f316b9fd.jpg

A couple of Richard's sketches below show the famous Y pattern often depicted by visual observers, and the sometimes streaky nature of the clouds.

RM_Baum_27_March_2007.jpg.fdba99c9fe962d71e0684f4b51f926b6.jpgVenus_17Oct2007.thumb.jpg.99006f1812d5c2ebbd1b6f9de691ec94.jpg

Edited by mikeDnight
  • Like 3
  • Thanks 1

7 minutes ago, mikeDnight said:

Many years ago there was serious debate about the visibility of cloud detail on Venus. Patrick Moore was definitely among the doubters, at least initially, as he saw nothing but a silver/white surface. Richard Baum on the other hand, a very experienced planetary observer and author, saw detail will little trouble. The two were on opposing sides of the debate until Patrick, Richard and a third member of the party who worked at a laboratory somewhere near Chester, organized an experiment to test the visual sensitivity of the three in relation to UV light. It turned out Patrick was not sensitive to UV, Richard was much more sensitive and the third member had sensitivity somewhere between the two extremes. At the end of it Patrick became a believer even though he still couldn't detect detail on Venus cloud tops. 

Here's a pic of Richard taken at his home in Chester when I and Paulastro visited him in February 2017. He sadly passed away later that year, but was always a great inspiration to me as his planetary sketches are unsurpassed IMHO.

P2270293a.thumb.jpg.fd1ccced982b3ef1174bf072f316b9fd.jpg

A couple of Richard's sketches below show the famous Y pattern often depicted by visual observers, and the sometimes streaky nature of the clouds.

RM_Baum_27_March_2007.jpg.fdba99c9fe962d71e0684f4b51f926b6.jpgVenus_17Oct2007.thumb.jpg.99006f1812d5c2ebbd1b6f9de691ec94.jpg

Loving this! How very interesting, especially the different sensitivity of each of the individuals. Thanks for sharing this.

• Like 1

Nice images again Luke, I don't think they are much different to what i am getting to be honest. I would not expect super sharp detailed UV images, i think your images have plenty of detail while retaining a very natural appearance.

I have posted a response to you question RE difference in exp length, in the thread.

Excellent thread, images and sketches alike.

I clearly am not sensitive to UV in the way needed to see detail on Venus; I had some decent views the other night but, whilst the phase was clearly defined and the brightness well controlled I saw no detail. Envious of you Mike being able to see this.