Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

HEQ5 advice needed

carastro

I have had my HEQ5 for some years now and it has served me well (It is NOT belt modded).  

However I have noticed recently when using Polemaster, that when my star slews along the circle back to Park (in the Polemaster routine), that it moves away from the circle a short distance particularly at the start, and then suddenly jumps back onto the circle and then stays there for the rest of the duration.  This has happened on about 3 occasions now, and each time with a fresh set up. 

I was showing Davey T when I was imaging at his house last week.

I am presuming this is some sort of problem with the inner workings/cogs/ motors etc 

I have no skills whatsoever with taking stuff apart, so if anything needs doing I will have to find some-one to help.

But since my images seem to come out OK, I am wondering whether I should be bothered about it.  

So can any of you experts out there cast an opinion please.  Is it something I should be worrying about, I have never taken it apart to remove grease or anything.  Or would a belt mod be the best option if it causes me any problems.

Many thanks for your advice every-one.  

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Any moving parts, will over time, and with the help of friction, lubricants drying out, bearings wearing etc. and maybe a constant vertical weight, may well produce slight dead\not spots etc.

If it was my mount, I'd probably just strip, clean and\or replace bearings, re-lubricate, as per (I think) AstroBabys self help guides.

And while I was at, I would probably also do the belt mod..

• Like 1

If it was my mount, I'd probably just strip, clean and\or replace bearings, re-lubricate, as per (I think) AstroBabys self help guides.

And while I was at, I would probably also do the belt mod..

Thanks I had a feeling that was going to be the response, but as said = no skills.  I know about Astrobaby's guide, but would not dare to do it myself. 

Is there any-one around that does Mount servicing, the only one I know was Graham on the Shed who had to give it up.

Carole 

Edited by carastro

• 4 weeks later...

Do you mean Estimated time of arrival?

FLO have dispatched it so could even be tomorrow.  Were you worried about next DSC?

I sent it 2 1/2 weeks ago, I thought now was a good time to be without my mount with the weather, Moon Phase. being stuck in Bortle 8 etc.

Carole 

Edited by carastro