Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Skymax 102 on camera tripod?

Depends on the camera tripod. It should be a medium weight one.

I have tried it on a Amazon $30 model and it's not stable enough.

U probably need 80 $99 tripod and I would recommend one with slow motion controls. The mak being really long will have a smaller fov so slow motion controls helps. But this may even cost more on the tripod.

What about a az3 dont they have that package or az4?

These wont be too much more heavier but stable could be just as important 

Joejaguar 

Edited by joe aguiar

1 hour ago, willcastle said:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/maksutov/skywatcher-skymax-102-ota.html

could I get away with putting this on a camera tripod for very casual viewing when I go camping?

and how do I attach the scope to the tripod? Does it have a standard camera thread on the bar?

Not sure about tripod. Some people use it, but I've tried it when my Skymax102 arrived and did not quite like it.

I tried it on very basic photo tripod with ball head. Dovetail has 1/4 thread on it and you can attach it like camera - but you loose ability to balance it that way. I've seen some people use ball head for scope having thing tilted at 90 degrees like this:

IMG_20160625_141300.jpg

Rest of the images here:

Although I've heard that sky watcher latest tripod is not really "heavy duty quality", it might be interesting option:

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az-eq-avant/sky-watcher-skymax-102-az-eq-avant.html

but do be careful with latest SW bundled scopes - it looks like they are missing collimation screws at the back (silly cost saving?), so it might be better option to buy ota and mount separately.

FLO does not seem to stock AZ-EQ avant mount by itself, but it is available:

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11298_Skywatcher-Avant-Mount---altazimuthaly-and-equatorialy-usable---capacity-up-to-3-kg.html

and you can later even buy tracking motor for it (FLO stocks it).

I decided to go with this combination  - and I'm very happy with it:

eeva_setup.jpg

I'll probably add wedge and CW at some point for really portable wide field AP / EEVA rig.

• Like 1

Depends what you mean by "camera tripod" - some will wave in the breeze, other more expensive ones will be as stable as a budget portable astro mount.  If you have an expensive and substantial camera tripod, by all means try it, otherwise buy an astro mount that is suited for the job. Be aware that camera tripods are designed to hold the camera in a fixed position, not track a telescope across the sky as the earth rotates. 

The dovetail bar is normally at the side of the Mak. If you make use of a camera thread in the dovetail bar, be prepared for finderscope etc to assume an odd position.

I think that the baader EQ clamp is a very interesting option....

I think that dedicated astro mounts are just too big for me to take camping. I only have a small car so large tripods are out of the question.

My camera tripod is reasonably decent (it was around £150). It could definitely hold the weight (probably holds around 6kg). I am thinking that, without tracking, or the ability to smoothly follow targets around, maybe a skymax is the wrong way to go with its very narrow field of view.

I wonder what decent, small, wide angle scopes I could consider? I already have a small skywatcher ST80, so maybe I will get a second one to take camping, that I can use on my camera tripod. 

I am just getting a bit distracted by the fact I love the idea of the skymax range 

On 24/01/2020 at 12:47, rwilkey said:

Hi Will, I would recommend the AZ5, it looks pretty 'grab n' go', I am thinking of buying this one for my wife who prefers quick set up times,  found here: https://www.firstlightoptics.com/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe/sky-watcher-az5-deluxe-alt-azimuth-mount.html

I spent a lot of time looking at that and it looks really great but definitely far too big for what I want. I have decided to get a really decent pair of binoculars. Will make a new thread about it. But thanks everyone for the suggestions :) 

• 2 weeks later...

I have used a 102 mak  on a manfroto tripod  and fluid head and it was fine - this tripod is substantial and not really suitable for lightweight travel. The small dovetail has a 1/4 hole and just fits directly to tripod head as you would attach a camera, or you could bolt a vixen type clamp to the head.

andrew

large.ak102m.JPG