Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright supernova in M100 (SN2020oi)

alanjgreen

I was out last night for the first time in 2020!
My main focus had been the Orion area but by 0100am it had moved too far west of the shed, so I had a great time with the Eskimo nebula (that’s another story) before trying to centre the three current supernovae in Virgo.

The only galaxy of the three that I could reach (with the dob from the shed) was M100 and I am pleased to report that this is a bright (mag greater than 13.2) type 1c.

As soon as you see M100, the SN is obvious and much brighter than the core it sits beside.

I was using the 20” and recorded the following results using a night vision device connected to various eyepieces:

- 18.2mm Delite (x111 magnification), easy split from core, no galaxy extension or arms seen (this is a large physical galaxy when seen in all its glory).

- 27mm Panoptic (x75), split ok, no arms seen but galaxy is now a larger patch.

- 35mm Panoptic (x59), SN is very close to the core but easy to see as it’s so much brighter. I now see the full scale of M100 but the arms remain just beyond reach.

I encourage everyone to give this a try as it is bright.

Clear skies,

Alan

Edited by alanjgreen
  • Like 2
  • Thanks 1

Took a few subs of it last night, is that it near the core ? don't think I'd have noticed it just browsing through them.

Dave

Single uncalibrated subs one from 2016 one from last night

10"SCT Atik 314L 

SN2016.png.3cd85a8c13b23331dfcf5118330b531b.png

SN2020.png.b9cd34bea8c9a161bf6b7d0110c9a956.png

• Like 3