Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Bright Supernova in NGC 4636

52 minutes ago, Mark at Beaufort said:

Thanks Michael - I note that the galaxy is in Virgo so its best to observe the SN in the early morning - say 3/4am. The Moon will be close over the next few days so the 21st looks a good bet - if it stays clear!!!

The moon is an issue, but NGC 4636is very bright, so can handle a lot of magnification. I might have a shot on Monday at 3 AM. 

• Like 1

• 2 weeks later...

I managed to observe this tonight. Now up to mag 12.1. Very obvious. I found the image below really helpful in confirming that I was seeing the SN. AA09F64A-C373-4F01-A7FA-896EBBD9AB2C.jpeg.44f9cfd3ea19d0dc0514f88a87403d2a.jpeg

Virgo was still pretty low but I could comfortably see NGC 4636 without any difficulty around midnight. Only my third supernova so very pleased. NGC 4636 is 46 million light years ago so this is time travel on an epic scale!

Edited by Littleguy80
  • Like 8

Well done Neil :thumbright:

I can't observe tonight due to a back injury (flares up from time to time) but it's good to know that you got this SN. That is a bright one as SN go. Good chance for those who have not seen one before to tick that box :smiley:

• Thanks 1

5 minutes ago, John said:

Well done Neil :thumbright:

I can't observe tonight due to a back injury (flares up from time to time) but it's good to know that you got this SN. That is a bright one as SN go. Good chance for those who have not seen one before to tick that box :smiley:

Thank you, John. Really chuffed to have seen it. I’m sure it’s the brightest one I’ve seen. Sorry to hear about your back. Best wishes for a speedy recovery so you can get back to observing soon. 

• Thanks 1

6 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

I managed to observe this tonight. Now up to mag 12.1. Very obvious. I found the image below really helpful in confirming that I was seeing the SN. AA09F64A-C373-4F01-A7FA-896EBBD9AB2C.jpeg.44f9cfd3ea19d0dc0514f88a87403d2a.jpeg

Virgo was still pretty low but I could comfortably see NGC 4636 without any difficulty around midnight. Only my third supernova so very pleased. NGC 4636 is 46 million light years ago so this is time travel on an epic scale!

Great result! No luck here, alas, just clouds, rain, and more clouds

• Like 1

9 hours ago, Littleguy80 said:

Well observed Neil. I crossed referenced the photo with stellarium so if I get a clear spell I will give it a go. Hopefully, Virgo will rise above my rooftop at a reasonable time so long as the Moon does not get in the way later this week.

• 4 weeks later...