NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Sky-Watcher AZ-EQ6 Pro in the post...AC POWER options?

oymd

Evening everyone...

Mount's on the way, hopefully arriving tomorrow.

Very excited, and terrified as well. Its my first GEM mount.

Just recognised I do not have a power supply to power the mount!

Can you please advise what can I go out and buy tomorrow? Or order tonight from Amazon?

I do not fancy the Celestron/SW huge battery packs!

Is there some sort of FEMALE cigarette adaptor to AC outlet I can use that is safe and no blow up the mount!! I know the mount comes with a power lead that utilises a cigarette adaptor?

Many thanks

I was worried they were poor quality and can do damage?

anyways, I’ve just ordered the 10amp option. 

I read somewhere that’s it’s better to have more juice, and the mount takes what it needs?

1 hour ago, oymd said:

I read somewhere that’s it’s better to have more juice, and the mount takes what it needs?

Indeed, supply overcapacity won't harm equipment but more current is available to cause damage if a fault occurs. Each item of equipment should be individually fused as per manufacturers specification. Still, most correctly rated fuses will likely allow sufficient fault current through for the equipment to fry its self! 

Edited by Paul M

I've seen the Neutrik SpeakOn connectors recommended before but the manufacturer specifically states: 

Attention speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains or power supply connector!

Also I believe that the cigarette plug on the lead supplied with the mount contains a fuse? So if replacing make sure a suitable fuse holder and fuse is incorporated.

Len  

Powering a mount isn't rocket science. 🙂 You need a stable supply of 12 to 13.5 volts DC, of adequate amperage, and the right way round, fed to the mount by a connector  that won't come loose when the Dc cable is disturbed.  That done, it does not matter what you use.  The 'cigarette lighter' cable is intended to plug into a vehicle, or into a engine starter kit, or certain astro power packs.  The cables of this sort I have seen are long and thin and might give an unwelcome voltage drop with a heavy mount. (On the other hand the length might allow you to keep a mains PSU indoors out of the dew).   There is no need to use the 'cigarette lighter' lead if you can source a mains PSU with a built-in lead that matches the mount inlet. 

I have a car starter pack that also inflates car tyres, and a Celestron LiFePo power pack which is lightweight and also provided a bright safe worklight for working under my car. 😀

Edited by Cosmic Geoff

13 hours ago, Paul M said:

Indeed, supply overcapacity won't harm equipment but more current is available to cause damage if a fault occurs. Each item of equipment should be individually fused as per manufacturers specification. Still, most correctly rated fuses will likely allow sufficient fault current through for the equipment to fry its self! 

3 hours ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

3 hours ago, Len1257 said:

I've seen the Neutrik SpeakOn connectors recommended before but the manufacturer specifically states: 

Attention speakON is NOT to be used as an AC mains or power supply connector!

Also I believe that the cigarette plug on the lead supplied with the mount contains a fuse? So if replacing make sure a suitable fuse holder and fuse is incorporated.

Len  

1 hour ago, Cosmic Geoff said:

Powering a mount isn't rocket science. 🙂 You need a stable supply of 12 to 13.5 volts DC, of adequate amperage, and the right way round, fed to the mount by a connector  that won't come loose when the Dc cable is disturbed.  That done, it does not matter what you use.  The 'cigarette lighter' cable is intended to plug into a vehicle, or into a engine starter kit, or certain astro power packs.  The cables of this sort I have seen are long and thin and might give an unwelcome voltage drop with a heavy mount. (On the other hand the length might allow you to keep a mains PSU indoors out of the dew).   There is no need to use the 'cigarette lighter' lead if you can source a mains PSU with a built-in lead that matches the mount inlet. 

I have a car starter pack that also inflates car tyres, and a Celestron LiFePo power pack which is lightweight and also provided a bright safe worklight for working under my car. 😀

Thank you all for your helpful replies.

As you can all see from the various and different options suggested, that this is a debatable and confusing issue.

I find it bizarre that on buying a sensitive electronic equipment costing almost £1500 that I need to do research into getting a safe and adequate power connector/supply?

What would it have cost Sky-Watcher to provide a suitable and safe MAINS OUTLET option with the mount? 

It's like buying a TV, which would cost considerably less, then needing to go out and find a suitable, fused, safe, correct voltage and amperage PSU to power the TV?

I am a little annoyed at this.

Edited by oymd

On the mount, itself, the input power connector is perfectly adequate (GX12 2pin screw lockable), but the prevalent use of the ciggy lighter socket is the failing part.

Manufactures seem to believe that mounts should be plugged into vehicle outlets ?? which I find laughable....

On my power distribution\dew heater box, I use either GX12\GX16 which makes it more robust....

7 minutes ago, Dr_Ju_ju said:

On the mount, itself, the input power connector is perfectly adequate (GX12 2pin screw lockable), but the prevalent use of the ciggy lighter socket is the failing part.

Manufactures seem to believe that mounts should be plugged into vehicle outlets ?? which I find laughable....

On my power distribution\dew heater box, I use either GX12\GX16 which makes it more robust....

Thanks for that...

So its called a GX12 2 pin screw lockable socket! I did not know that.

Can you please point me in the direction of a MAINS outlet power supply that I can use?

Would be helpful also if you can direct me to a cable that uses that socket on one end, and normal power connector on the other.

Many thanks

Unfortunately, you won't find a power supply, fitted with a GX12 connector outlet...  but if you are able\confident to make a lead up, then you can but one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/12V-2A-3A-5A-8A-10A-Power-Supply-Unit-For-LED-Light-CCTV-Computer-Game-Console/172973837974?hash=item28460b4e96:m:ml1pDxPMZGldClNRWPtbb5g  and either replace the output connector with one of these https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Aviation-Plug-2-3-4-5-6-7-Pin-12mm-GX12-Metal-Male-Female-Panel-Cable-Connector/283585673998?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item420705fb0e  or make up a small power distribution box with additional outlets (for the other power devices you will eventually need) fuses etc..

There is one thing to be said for Ciggy connectors - if your wiring gets caught and pulls its less likely to do damage (just cut power) than damaging fixed cables  (poss short) and possibly damaging you mounts stepper motors. You choice !

IMHO Best AC to DC main operated power supplies are any decent HAM RADIO power supplies.  I use a MASS brand (last 3 years) and you have a second output for other devices via a distribution box. Some come with Post connectors. 

Note FLO sell M8 Ring ended power cables(gx2 the other end)  for SW https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/lynx-astro-silicone-power-cable-for-sky-watcher-az-eq5-az-eq6-eq6-r-eq8-r-mounts.html NOTE these are not fused like the ciggy connector 🙂

• Like 1