SkySurveyBanner.jpg.21855908fce40597655603b6c9af720d.jpg

Variable star V799 Auriga

This is my first variable star measurement since last March. This is largely due to me having problems with Sciatica. I had keyhole surgery on my back at the end of November and am finally ready to continue looking at these fascinating objects. I thought it wise to tackle a familiar object first. It is amazing what one forgets after a lapse, e.g. I initially forgot to turn the camera cooling on and twice had to refer to my own tutorial to use the software!

Dave

V799Aur-chart.jpg.6b5574f9eb07dac71a3b4b6a62368715.jpg

• Like 9

V799 Aug has a really interesting light curve (I've not seen anything quite as similar either) - graph looks great.

Sorry to hear about your back troubles - hopefully you're back on the road to good health now!

And also proven the benefit of good documentation! 😂

• Like 1

Great to hear your back surgery has been successful Dave, backs really are very poorly designed bits of kit aren't they?

I confess I had no idea that stars could vary over such short time frames, that's a really interesting curve. Glad the tutorial was helpful 😉

• Like 1

On 18/01/2020 at 08:10, coatesg said:

V799 Aug has a really interesting light curve (I've not seen anything quite as similar either) - graph looks great.

Sorry to hear about your back troubles - hopefully you're back on the road to good health now!

And also proven the benefit of good documentation! 😂

Many thanks Graeme. My problems are all due to getting old 🙁 .

By the way, are you by any chance going to the BAA Winchester weekend or the VSS meeting in Northampton on 9 May?

Dave

On 18/01/2020 at 08:15, Stu said:

Great to hear your back surgery has been successful Dave, backs really are very poorly designed bits of kit aren't they?

I confess I had no idea that stars could vary over such short time frames, that's a really interesting curve. Glad the tutorial was helpful 😉

Thanks Stu. I didn't realise I had a back problem because the pain was in the legs. Hopefully all will be well before long.

There is a whole group of stars, HADS stars (High Amplitude Delta Scuti stars), with these short time periods. It does seem a bit mind boggling that such large objects can be oscillating in and out at such a frequency. This particular star seems to have more than one frequency of resonance.

Dave

On 19/01/2020 at 14:26, Dave Smith said:

By the way, are you by any chance going to the BAA Winchester weekend or the VSS meeting in Northampton on 9 May?

Hadn't even thought about either to be honest - barely thought beyond Feb at the moment! I'd like to be able to make it along to one - the VSS one sounds interesting, but it's in the cricket season and that's Saturdays tied up for me as I play in the league.... 😕

14 hours ago, coatesg said:

Hadn't even thought about either to be honest - barely thought beyond Feb at the moment! I'd like to be able to make it along to one - the VSS one sounds interesting, but it's in the cricket season and that's Saturdays tied up for me as I play in the league.... 😕

You could come to the VSS day if "Rain stops play" 😀

Dave