NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Focuser for sky-max 180 MAK

Hi!

I'm new here so this is my first post.

My name is Christian and I live in Norway. I own a Sky-max 180 MAK with a Heq5 Pro mount and a ZWO Asi 120MC-S. I use it for Lunar and planets only.

I have previously owned a Skywatcher 200pds reflector.

I have gotten a few ok shots of the moon but I struggle with the focusing. I can rember it was so hard on the 200pds. So I have started the search for a focuser but I find that the price is just too stiff for an electric focuser, so I now browse through manual focusers now.

I came across this one on eBay: https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-1-10-Dual-Speed-Focuser-with-Base-Adapter-for-Refractor-Type-Telescope/184019328985?_trkparms=ispr%3D1&hash=item2ad8681fd9:g:2zEAAOSwPsBdvTtX https://www.ebay.com/itm/2-inch-1-10-Dual-Speed-Manual-Helical-Focuser-for-Reflector-Type-Telescope/133033705672?_trkparms=aid%3D555018%26algo%3DPL.SIM%26ao%3D1%26asc%3D20190917065201%26meid%3Dacc1de0a8dd445a2ab54be937b56f4dd%26pid%3D100935%26rk%3D6%26rkt%3D12%26mehot%3Dco%26sd%3D233266291873%26itm%3D133033705672%26pmt%3D1%26noa%3D0%26pg%3D2332490&_trksid=p2332490.c100935.m2460

Do you guys know if it is any good? Or will it fit straight on the sky-max 180. I read in here some where that the threads on newer sky-max 180s have standard SCT threads.

And last, is it worth it? Will it help a lot for achieving focus? I might also add that I know about the long cool down time for my scope so I have that on mind. I als wondered if it is even doable to make air vents in the sky-max 180?

Looking forward to your answers guys, I have read al ot in here since I started my journey about a year ago and I know how much knowledge you guys have!

Looks like a basic Crayford. Not bad but there are much better ones such as this. Did have one of the Baader Steeltracks on my old Skymax180 which did work really well and will handle a big load unlike the cheap Crayfords.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8214_Baader-SCT-EHD-Diamond-Steeltrack--Focuser.html

Downside was it added a lot of weight to the back of the scope so removed it and fitted a Skywatcher Autofocuser and Hitec control so I could focus remotely using a laptop. Even with out the laptop the hand control that comes with the Autoficuser made it easier to focus as you don’t have to touch the scope to focus so no shaking of the scope while focusing.

B7D25FEF-2FD7-4609-957A-61F645C50898.jpeg

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Looks like a basic Crayford. Not bad but there are much better ones such as this. Did have one of the Baader Steeltracks on my old Skymax180 which did work really well and will handle a big load unlike the cheap Crayfords.

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p8214_Baader-SCT-EHD-Diamond-Steeltrack--Focuser.html

Downside was it added a lot of weight to the back of the scope so removed it and fitted a Skywatcher Autofocuser and Hitec control so I could focus remotely using a laptop. Even with out the laptop the hand control that comes with the Autoficuser made it easier to focus as you don’t have to touch the scope to focus so no shaking of the scope while focusing.

It was just one of the Skywatcher basic Auto Focusers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

The TS one you have linked to is very overpriced considering it’s just the Skywatcher unit with a pulley and drive belt..The pulley wheels and drive belt I used were just 3D printer parts off eBay.

6 minutes ago, johninderby said:

It was just one of the Skywatcher basic Auto Focusers.

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/astronomy-cables-leads-accessories/skywatcher-auto-focuser.html

The TS one you have linked to is very overpriced considering it’s just the Skywatcher unit with a pulley and drive belt..The pulley wheels and drive belt I used were just 3D printer parts off eBay.

Hmm. I'm at work so I don't have much time right now, maby I overlooked something. But the parts you used was the one you just linked to and what.other parts? Can you give me a list and where you bought it :)

I put on a 7 mak and some of my scts the feather touch micros focusers.

It relaces the regular one on the scope to a dual speed and its buttery smooth.

Being a mak it should also work on your but either check website or call them first. They have dozens of models for different makes and models. Some of them are even specific to a certain size too.

They norm cost about 250 to 300 us. Nice thing it doesnt add any length or weight to scope as it just replaces the focus knob.

Joejaguar 

2 minutes ago, joe aguiar said:

I put on a 7 mak and some of my scts the feather touch micros focusers.

It relaces the regular one on the scope to a dual speed and its buttery smooth.

Being a mak it should also work on your but either check website or call them first. They have dozens of models for different makes and models. Some of them are even specific to a certain size too.

They norm cost about 250 to 300 us. Nice thing it doesnt add any length or weight to scope as it just replaces the focus knob.

Joejaguar 

Where do you buy it?

I ordered it from a USA dealer forgot which one but almost all of them can order it from feather touch.

U may even order from feather touch them selves too.

I dont live in USA so I had to pay abit customs fees.

Most people consider feather touch the best, I probably agree with moonlight being 2nd 

Joe

I second John's approach.  I modified my 127 Mak in a very similar way (just with the handset -- no control from a computer) and it was one of the best things I did for planetary imaging.  I could sit at the laptop watching the output from the camera and just roll the focus in and out to the point where I thought it was best without any wobbling of the image.

Other than the Skywatcher focuser kit, the other parts I used were a toothed belt and a pair of pulleys, I think from here: https://www.motionco.co.uk/timing-belts-timing-belts-c-25_38_39.html

On my C9.25 I now have a secondary focuser as John originally mentioned -- the original Baader Steeltrak in my case, rather than the Diamond one, motorised using the same method of Skywatcher motor and drive belt.  That works very nicely, but it is a more expensive, and heavier, solution.

The advantage of the secondary focuser is that it removes the inevitable shifting of the mirror when you change from focusing inwards to outwards that happens with the internal focuser.  Before planetary cameras with larger sensors became common, that movement might be sufficient to move the image across a significant part of the sensor which made it a pain as changing focus would often mean having to re-centre the image as well.

James

1 minute ago, John said:

On the subject of cooling the scope, would one of the Lymax cat coolers work ?:

https://www.astroshop.eu/miscellaneous/lymax-cosmicone-sct-cooler-r-1-celestron-meade-8-/p,44537

I'd have thought so.  I believe they're supposed to be a snug fit inside the visual back, so as long as that is still true and it's long enough to extend past the end of the baffle tube without touching the silvering on the back of the corrector I think it should work.

Oddly enough I was looking for one of these the other day to show someone else, but couldn't find it.  I think they might have changed the name or something.  Or my search was just rubbish.  So I'm pleased you posted the link :)

James

And its was really simple to take out the knob and replace it. I would say virtually everyone should be able to install it without any issues. I guess as long u get the right model for your scope.

U sometimes find them on the used market norm more on those us sites and if u try that, u need to Google to see if it's the right now for u. This may be the hardest part but if u buy new from feather touch or a dealer they will figure out which model u need once u tell them your scope.

Joejaguar 

20 minutes ago, johninderby said:

Unfortunately FeatherTouch Micro Focusers are only made for SCTs. so no luck for a Mak.

No u can use it on a mak like I said on first post I had a 7 inch mak since his is a 180 it should be the same model. 

I had then 178mm f 15 meade uhtc mak which use the same focuser for the 8 inch sct. It fit and worked. It had no issues installing it either.

Joejaguar 

• Like 1

Like johninderby I also mounted one of the cheap skywatcher motorfocus units to my mak (150mm).

Didn't bother with replacing the stock knob with a pulley, just ran the belt over the knob and worked fine. Bought the belt from amazon. The motor is attached to the spare finder shoe holes in the tube.

As for cooling, you could try insulating the scope with refletix or similar, plenty of threads/posts on here and cloudy nights about doing this if you search "insulating mak"

IMG_20170525_184718.jpg

• Thanks 1

1 hour ago, johninderby said:

Unfortunately FeatherTouch Micro Focusers are only made for SCTs. so no luck for a Mak.

According to Starlight Instruments' website, you can fit a Feathertouch to a Mak 150/180?

http://starlightinstruments.com/store/index.php?route=product/product&product_id=244

Cheers, M

10 hours ago, CraigT82 said:

Like johninderby I also mounted one of the cheap skywatcher motorfocus units to my mak (150mm).

Didn't bother with replacing the stock knob with a pulley, just ran the belt over the knob and worked fine. Bought the belt from amazon. The motor is attached to the spare finder shoe holes in the tube.

As for cooling, you could try insulating the scope with refletix or similar, plenty of threads/posts on here and cloudy nights about doing this if you search "insulating mak"

IMG_20170525_184718.jpg

Real nice! So all you did was Skywatcher auto focuser and a belt? Did you replace Any parts on the skywatcher auto focuser? It looks like it. Do you also have a SCT focuser on it? Did it work well? :) Looks real nice!

On 16/01/2020 at 10:44, johninderby said:

I think I will give this a go! Looks fairly easy now that I had some time to look at it.

But do you think there is a way to use the skywatcher part you use for the focuser I found on eBay? Maby if I make a bracket and mount where you mounter the motor and turn the motor 90° and mount it at the end of the bracket and a belt down to the new.ebay focuser? Have you seen anyone try that?