Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Getting prime focus on Meade 6-inch reflector

Adam1234

Hi all, so I'm currently unable to get prime focus with my Canon DSLR and 6-inch Meade Newtonian reflector that I recently bought (this one https://www.astroshop.eu/telescopes/meade-telescope-n-152-762-6-lxd75-goto/p,11702)

With the eyepiece holder screwed onto the 2" focus tube, then T-adapter slotted into the eyepiece holder, I'm just a tad too far away to get focus. I believe if I can do away with the eyepiece holder and T-adapter I will be close enough to get focus, so does anyone know if there are any adapters that will screw directly onto the 2" focus tube, that then screw into the T-ring, that are thin enough that they add minimum length? 

Something like this https://www.harrisontelescopes.co.uk/acatalog/altair-m48--m42-adapter.html#SID=1664 Turns out this particular one was slightly too small to screw onto the 2 inch thread...

Cheers

I can’t help you directly with what to buy but I did start with this exact scope and successfully imaged through it with a Canon 300d.  As far as I can remember I just used a t adapter screwed directly onto the focuser tube.  Obviously this what you are trying to do! I don’t recall buying anything though additionally apart from a t adapter. 

11 hours ago, tooth_dr said:

I can’t help you directly with what to buy but I did start with this exact scope and successfully imaged through it with a Canon 300d.  As far as I can remember I just used a t adapter screwed directly onto the focuser tube.  Obviously this what you are trying to do! I don’t recall buying anything though additionally apart from a t adapter. 

At least I know it can be achieved then, I just need to find the correct t adapter that can screw onto a 2inch thread, they seem hard to come by and not very common on the main astronomy websites, but after hours of searching I have found this which I hope will fit:

https://www.omegon.eu/other-adapters/omegon-m54-t2-t-adapter/p,44349

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, alacant said:

Hi

If it's like the skywatcher, if you unscrew the eyepiece holder, isn't there a male t thread already for your DSLR t ring?

Cheers

No unfortunately not, unscrewing the eyepiece holder reveals a 2-inch thread.

20200111_174217.thumb.jpg.52c61eb7338407192f704d30e3058906.jpg20200111_174253.thumb.jpg.fdf3833c04370f4ba29da3d9c063d287.jpg

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, Adam1234 said:

unscrewing the eyepiece

Are you sure that the eyepiece holder  (the collar with the two thumb screws) does not unscrew from the female threaded flange? You may need to apply some force to shift it.

3 minutes ago, alacant said:

Are you sure that the eyepiece holder  (the collar with the two thumb screws) does not unscrew from the female threaded flange? You may need to apply some force to shift it.

No that's fixed on :(

• 4 months later...