Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Upgrade Scope Help

Well, this year i'm gonna treat myself to a new frac to replace my SW ED80. Options so far are the WO GT91, TS 80mm Triplet and maybe the Esprit 80, but at 400mm i think thats a bit wide for me, unless i can be swayed. I'll be using it with an ASI294MC and cant afford to change that at the moment.  Would have preferred something closer to 550-650mm but nothing around near that. 

Any owners wanna jump in with an opinion? Also want one compatible with the ZWO focus motor if possible. 

Why not consider a bit larger scope instead - that will give you target focal length (and as a bonus collect more light).

Something like this is rather good and won't break the bank (in fact there are few "second hand" items on sale now - showroom pieces that were on display but are treated as second hand and reduced in price):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11871_NEU--TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-115-mm-f-7-Triplet-Apo---2-5--RAP-focuser.html

That scope is 800mm focal length, but when you add suitable FF/FR (I would consider Riccardi x0.75 FF/FR) - you will get 600mm and F/5.2 setup

I don't own this scope, so I can't speak as owner, but I do own TS80 APO and know what sort of fit&finish is on photoline scopes and I can say that 2.5" R&P is very adequate focuser for imaging and you can easily access 10:1 shaft to attach motor focuser (or maybe use belted connection).

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

replace my SW ED80. ... Would have preferred something closer to 550-650mm but nothing around near that.

Isn't the ED80 already in your preferred focal length?

That TS 115 is very tempting. I like the idea of having a straight flattener as well as the 0.75. would give a little range to it when needed.

ED80 is in the right range but i'm fed up with the focuser, to upgrade the focuser is going to be £250 and I think that money might be better spent on getting a nice triplet.

The Esprit 100 would be nice but out of my price range at the moment. 

As a  esprit 80 user I can highly recommend it... far better than the previous 80mm scope I was using..

I take it's the focuser slip that's grating? Have you seen Dion (Astromany shed) on u tube showing how you can get a better purchase on the drawtube..

13 minutes ago, newbie alert said:

As a  esprit 80 user I can highly recommend it... far better than the previous 80mm scope I was using..

I take it's the focuser slip that's grating? Have you seen Dion (Astromany shed) on u tube showing how you can get a better purchase on the drawtube..

yeah i've seen that, It's been a good scope and I'll keep it but the shift when locking is annoying and who doesn't want an excuse for a new scope. 

• Like 1

On 05/01/2020 at 19:20, vlaiv said:

Why not consider a bit larger scope instead - that will give you target focal length (and as a bonus collect more light).

Something like this is rather good and won't break the bank (in fact there are few "second hand" items on sale now - showroom pieces that were on display but are treated as second hand and reduced in price):

https://www.teleskop-express.de/shop/product_info.php/info/p11871_NEU--TS-Optics-PHOTOLINE-115-mm-f-7-Triplet-Apo---2-5--RAP-focuser.html

That scope is 800mm focal length, but when you add suitable FF/FR (I would consider Riccardi x0.75 FF/FR) - you will get 600mm and F/5.2 setup

I don't own this scope, so I can't speak as owner, but I do own TS80 APO and know what sort of fit&finish is on photoline scopes and I can say that 2.5" R&P is very adequate focuser for imaging and you can easily access 10:1 shaft to attach motor focuser (or maybe use belted connection).

I second the recommendation regarding the 115mm triplet apo from TS Optics, the one reduced in price.

I did a quite thorough review with lots of pics over at "Member equipment reviews".

Have a look there and see what you think. The scope is high class. I added some eyepiece projection shots as well.

Bought it for dual purpose as both visual and later on when I've gathered some more gear, also for AP. But it is a very good scope for the money. €999 for an apo with that aperture is hard to beat unless you go secondhand I think.

Have a look also at Astrobin for shots taken with the scope. That's what I did before I decided. Also: Even though it is reduced in price, it has full warranty. That's what finally made me click the buy button. I did not regret it.

/Peter

Edited by Peter77
Typed to fast as usual..
  • Like 1

14 hours ago, Peter77 said:

I second the recommendation regarding the 115mm triplet apo from TS Optics, the one reduced in price.

I did a quite thorough review with lots of pics over at "Member equipment reviews".

Have a look there and see what you think. The scope is high class. I added some eyepiece projection shots as well.

Bought it for dual purpose as both visual and later on when I've gathered some more gear, also for AP. But it is a very good scope for the money. €999 for an apo with that aperture is hard to beat unless you go secondhand I think.

Have a look also at Astrobin for shots taken with the scope. That's what I did before I decided. Also: Even though it is reduced in price, it has full warranty. That's what finally made me click the buy button. I did not regret it.

/Peter

I was just looking to get advice/ideas for now and save up but i'm trying to pluck up the courage and pull the trigger on this one and put it on my credit card. i like the idea of the flexibility of using a FF/R and also a straight flattener when I need its native focal length. 

50 minutes ago, Anthonyexmouth said:

I was just looking to get advice/ideas for now and save up but i'm trying to pluck up the courage and pull the trigger on this one and put it on my credit card. i like the idea of the flexibility of using a FF/R and also a straight flattener when I need its native focal length. 

I see. :)

I was afraid to wait too long as they might not be available for that price for very long.

I cannot stress enough, that if you go ahead, I think you won't regret it 

The 115mm is also quite capable for visual of you want to enjoy it that way too. Weighing only 6.5kg it is not that hefty either, requiring only a mid sized mount. Not sure what mount you have today?

The focuser on the scope is very good too. Seems very rigid and capable of handling loads. I did the startest with a diagonal in and there were no errors on the diffraction rings, for whatever that is worth.

I'm sure there are other good scopes as well, and this being the first apo I own, I of course don't have that much experience. I can only see what I have in front of me and gather that it is some good [removed word] :) Can't beat the value for the price. It is not a fpl53 howewer, "only" fpl51, but seems to be very well corrected.

//Peter

Edited by Peter77

• 1 month later...