Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Need some help attaching a 450d to an explorer 150pds.

Ivar

(Not sure where to post this) I've been doing visual for a while with my Explorer 150pds and my HEQ5 pro, but I recently picked up a canon 450d and want to try out imaging. 

My question is: How exactly do I connect the dslr to the telescope. I've searched around, but I'm lost in a sea of adapters and people recommending different stuff, it's really confusing. I really wanna add on a coma corrector as well, but that only seem to add more layers of confusion as to what exactly I need. May sound a bit silly and all, but I'm new to the photography aspect.

Thanks in advance! 😓

You need a 2 inch adapter piece that screws into the body of your 450D, I will post a link to what I recon you need. The coma corrector goes into the 2 inch focuser on your scope then the 2 inch adapter goes into that.  Hopefully you should be able to reach focus. Dependant on the scope you may not need a coma corrector, especially if you crop the pic post processing.

• Like 1

2 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

You need a 2 inch adapter piece that screws into the body of your 450D, I will post a link to what I recon you need. The coma corrector goes into the 2 inch focuser on your scope then the 2 inch adapter goes into that.  Hopefully you should be able to reach focus. Dependant on the scope you may not need a coma corrector, especially if you crop the pic post processing.

Thanks!! - and for fast response.

Edited by Ivar
  • Like 1

10 minutes ago, wavydavy said:

2 inch to avoid vignetting not 1.25

Also, is the baader mark-III coma corrector something to consider? There's a skywatcher coma corrector on a local store here, but I'm not even sure if it will fit without the need of an extra adapter. "a suitable M48X0.75 adaptor is required". image.png.2a7b85cb93b73201f37f48a9e53c5282.png

Edited by Ivar

Ivar, I attach the camera via the T2 to the coma corrector on my 200p then directly into the focuser. This is a very tight fit! The main thing to be aware of

with the Skywatcher coma corrector is that the T2 connector is to 48mm if you already have the standard T2 it doesn't fit

• Like 1

13 hours ago, Fliptopp said:

Ivar, I attach the camera via the T2 to the coma corrector on my 200p then directly into the focuser. This is a very tight fit! The main thing to be aware of

with the Skywatcher coma corrector is that the T2 connector is to 48mm if you already have the standard T2 it doesn't fit

Thanks for the info!

I think the previous posters have it about correct. A T Ring and Coma Corrector should be enough.

I don't have a Canon but a Nikon D5300 and after I have fitted my Nikon T Ring I just screw in the Baader MkIII CC that I have and this works fine slotted straight into the draw tube of my 150 PDS. I'm sure the SW CC will be fine too.

HOWEVER, I would caution against just using the standard drawtube adapter to mount the imaging rig in. The standard adapter only comes with two screws and you really don't want to be hanging expensive gear off that!

Instead I invested in one of these Baader Clicklock adapters and it holds everything nice and secure (make sure you order the correct size if you go ahead)

https://www.firstlightoptics.com/baader/baader-2-clicklock-m54-clamp.html

Alternatively you could go for a cheaper option with just a compression ring, but in the long run I think the Clicklock is the best route.

Clear Skies!!

Daemon

• Like 1

14 minutes ago, daemon said:

Baader Clicklock adapters

Hi

Unfortunately, using this will not enable focus with the sw 0.9 coma corrector mentioned here. Other choices for the clicklok would be the Baader or -even better- the 4 element gso.

HTH

Edited by alacant