Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Rob's EQ3 upgrade

russ

I'll let Rob go into details, i just took some pics and helped out a bit.

In short we adapted his EQ3 to take standard Vixen/Synta dovetail bars. Which means Rob can now 'hot swap' between his current 2 scopes and a third that is on the way. The drive behind the upgrade was to provide a decent platform for the William Optics Zenithstar 80 or one of it's clones. We achieved our goal despite a few worrying moments (mainly for Rob, waking up my kids was my main concern) and the usual DIY hicups such as blunt drill bit and dead drill.

We tried out the upgrade using my two scopes. The EQ3 handled them both no worries. The HEQ5 tripod upgrade really makes a difference.

Here's a few pics....sorry about the darkness, taken outside at 11pm.

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

image.jpg

Russ

shows how thick I am I have a vixen 102m it has a med length dovetail bar on it (needs a larger one IMHO) this is the second time in as many days I discover that the dovetail off the vixen is different from eq mounts well mine seems to fit just fine on the EQ5

yes it must be that me being a bit thick :)

perhaps I ought to get my finger out and take a picture of it to show :lol::) :)

Hi Martyn, the Vixen dovetail (the dovetail in the top picture is a sawn up Vixen unit) looks different to the Synta but does the same job. Both dovetails fit the Vixen and Skywatcher range of EQ mounts.

Regards

Russ

Hi Greg, we used two homemade saddleplates that came with my Intes-Micro. I think they were originally made so my Intes could be used on a Vixen Super Polaris. We just modified the mounting holes on the EQ3 to accept them. Basically elongated them inwards by 8-10mm using a metal file.

Your ED80 will just bolt straight onto the EQ3 with the tube rings. As does Rob's newt and Mak. But Rob gets a bit fed up with messing around with bolts when he wants to switch OTA's. Plus this was the best way of attaching the WO Zenithstar.

Regards

Russ

Hi Martyn, the Vixen dovetail (the dovetail in the top picture is a sawn up Vixen unit) looks different to the Synta but does the same job. Both dovetails fit the Vixen and Skywatcher range of EQ mounts.

Regards

Russ

Ahhhhhhhhh thanks for that snippit things are clearer to me now :lol:

Its a great upgrade I must say!. I'm in the process of buying some longer stainless bolts to allow some nice wide washers to be placed under the locking nuts, a final repaint with grey hammerite. Job done!.

Cheers for your help Russ, much appreciated matey :)

Rob

:lol:

Archived