Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Orion XT10 Dob

wormix

Good evening everyone

A few months ago I purchased a HEQ5 / Orion 10” combo, primarily for the mount that I wanted for my 150PDS.  I found the 250mm OTA far too large to use on an EQ Mount and so I set it aside to play with at a later date. 

I decided that I would build a Dob base (copying the original design) for it as that should be more user friendly than the EQ Mount. I have never used a Dob, and the largest aperture I have used previously was a 200mm OOUK

I finally finished my mount today and unbelievably the sky has cleared as well. I’m very impressed at how easy the Dob is to use, and this sitting and observing thing will be hard to move away from. 

The first object I navigated to was Andromeda, and the massive increase in aperture was clearly apparent with it being very clear and obvious. I then moved on to the great Orion Nebula - my first visit this season and was totally blown away. The view in my ETX125 has always been nice but in my 250mm it is utterly unbelievable. All the features are so clear, with the nebulosity displaying almost like a photo!  I was considering not keeping this scope as it is very large, but the first 2 views I’ve had, coupled with ease of use and comfort mean itsstaying. 

If you’ve never used a 250mm Newt before I strongly recommend giving it a whirl!  

26CBF00B-3007-4AEC-976A-71A18578E06C.jpeg

Edited by wormix
  • Like 2