Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

arduino compat AND reliable temp/hum sensor

stash_old

The DHT series are, IMO, pieces or rubbish, unfortunately. Not made for long term use in outside conditions.

I've had more success with the HTU21D of late. Far more robust.

They are a little more expensive, but you get what you pay for :)

https://shop.pimoroni.com/products/adafruit-htu21d-f-temperature-humidity-sensor-breakout-board

1 hour ago, wimvb said:

How about the BME280? You will get humidity, temperature and pressure from one device. It uses I2C which is quite straight forward to set up with Arduino

Agreed.
No sensor or Arduino will survive "outside" for long. Although I have DHT11's that have been running 24*365 in the house for many years. However, the BME280 and the Arduino will both need protection from the elephants .... sorry: elements. If someone wants to measure outside temperature and humidity, they will have to place the sensor in an enclosure and site it properly (as humidity readings are extremely dependent on ambient temperature). There are ways and means of doing this while obtaining reasonably reliable results.

1 hour ago, JamesF said:

What's "outside" in this sense?  Inside a Stevenson Screen or similar?

James

5 minutes ago, pete_l said:

Agreed.
No sensor or Arduino will survive "outside" for long. Although I have DHT11's that have been running 24*365 in the house for many years. However, the BME280 and the Arduino will both need protection from the elephants .... sorry: elements. If someone wants to measure outside temperature and humidity, they will have to place the sensor in an enclosure and site it properly (as humidity readings are extremely dependent on ambient temperature). There are ways and means of doing this while obtaining reasonably reliable results.

Here are James' and my solutions to the protection problem:

Edited by wimvb

I second BME280. Very reliable. I'm using it outside for last 2 yrs. No problem whatsoever

The easiest way to build descent weather station enclosure is to use... flowerpots, or actually their parts. See the image blow.

weather_station_enclosure.thumb.jpg.8e460b2fbd36151635d12a614c4a4f38.jpg

Edited by RadekK

1. Dont have a problem with my "Arduino's" work for years just the cheapo dht11/dht22/am2302 plus others.

2. "Outside" in this case is in the OTA tube  anti dew shield - so cannot be big - size of DHT11 is ideal. My other "outside" dht11 (in the obsys) have been working for a couple of years. Guess the OTA one takes a hit more of a direct hit of the elements - dew.

I have been looking at these which are supposed to be "industrial"  lol - https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/Temperature-Humidity-Transmitter-SHT20-Sensor-Modbus-RS485-High-Precision-RC/143433368655?hash=item21654b844f:g:7KIAAOSwdIZdwhoY but are too big!

and these are temp only https://www.ebay.co.uk/itm/DS18B20-18B20-1-WIRE-Digital-Thermometer-in-waterproof-casing-BRAND-NEW-UK-STOCK-/190784248550

May look at the BME280 and see if it fits inside any of the DHT "screens" - which I have one or 2 knocking about.

Thanks for the Info as normal! 🙂

23 minutes ago, stash_old said:

Yes, I currently use one of those with an ESP32 module. They're easy to use, but you won't have humidity measurements. BME280 are cheap on Amazon, and just as easy to work with. They need two data lines, as opposed to just one for the DHT module.