Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

Alkassim

Can I track satellites using AZ GTi mount?

Gentlemen,

I'm using AZ GTi mount, SkySafari Pro, and Nikon P1000. Is there a way to track satellites? I do have the connection cable from the camera to the mount. But use it for shooting through SkySafari. 

Any thoughts would be highly appreciated

As far as I know satellites move to quickly for the sort of telescopes that we have, but I could be wrong.

There are some scopes, but I think they cost a lot of money.

Hi @Alkassim and welcome to SGL. :hello2:

What 'scope/OTA do you own ?

I think the best method maybe to somehow make some kind of manual tracking mount. I have seen a few youtube videos of some SCT's manually tracking, with some success tracking the ISS/Zarya. Other satellites will be to small to decern any features, other than a point of light.

I get a buzz when I see one whizz across my eyepiece field of view and find it very relaxing on an english summer evening, laying down and tracking them with a pair of binoculars; watching the brightness increase/decrease as it tracks across the night sky. 

🛰️  :earth: 📡 

• Like 1

best bet are gotos they have a list to see satellites

u could use a st scope which gives u a wider fov to track it easier but u wiont see detail just a star moving

joejaguar

From my understanding and experience, the Goto will take you to the satellite but won't continuously update and track it, even if the mount is capable of keeping up.

• Like 1

40 minutes ago, Cornelius Varley said:

Not sure how relevant this is but if you have a laptop and Synscan handset this piece of software will track satellites Satellite Tracker

I used to use this software with my LX200 classic years ago and worked well. Has anyone tried this with the GTi?