Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

What would you recommend?

Hi everyone, good to see you all again after what seems like an eternity. Ok question, I have been asked by a local cub leader if I would give some cubs a half hour chat about Astronomy, basically with the little knowledge I have from reading etc I do not want to go outside of my safety level. They are aged between 8 and 13 and it seems they can be awarded a badge for their efforts.

If you were to do this, what would you recommend as a good starter level. I was going to mention what a planet is, what a moon is, some bits about a lightyear and distance, but I need to keep it easy (not only for them but for me too) so would welcome any tips. Thanks all.

I have given talks to school and children's groups. Kids love the wilder and gruesome aspects of space. Like the fact that if you stepped out onto Venus you would be squashed flat and dissolve in sulphuric acid or spaghettification (stetching) of objects and people near a Black Hole.

One item I like to introduce is that our age is govern by the arbitrary length of the Earth's orbit around the Sun. So on Mercury you would have a birthday every 88 days or on Saturn you would be 30 (Earth) years old before having a birthday at all!

Include why we see phases on the Moon due to its orbit, with the recent meteorite fall in Canada you could also mention that the Earth would have had lots of craters like the Moon but they have been weather away over millions of years leaving only the recent ones visible.

Depending on how much room you have you could have a few cubs represent the inner planets at relative distances and sizes against a globe of the sun (small football)

Here is a great link for calculating sizes and distances

http://www.exploratorium.edu/ronh/solar_system/

Children still like the idea of being an astronaut. So being optimistic (as I am) before they are 30 or 40 we will have gone back to the Moon and on to Mars. Space tourism will have developed so they could even work in a space hotel.

If you search the net there are some children eductional sites that might help

Mike

Hi Proflight2000,

If they are to get a badge shouldn't there be at least some aspect of tastronomy that they should contribute?

For example learn to identify a few constellations, be able to find the direction of north from observing the sky.

To me, it seems a be odd to award a badge just for sitting through a lecture.

If you saw the specification that was proposed for achieving a bellringing badge the astronomy badge would be worthless :crybaby:

--

Martyn.

I asked an 8 year old last week about the sun who told me it was a big bomb that would blow up soon. He thought it a bit bigger than the Earth and that soon was ten thousand years tops - given that even ten was pretty old!

On the other hand he picked up the idea of the three card trick very quickly as did most of the other kids.

When attempting communication with children (who are often given and implicitly believe in a very strange view of the cosmos - if any - by teachers and parents) we find that actual pictures of things seemed to go right by them but verbal and drawn concepts like being crushed, blown up, floating of in orbit, seemed to go down a treat. Personal involvement by the kids is great but we always do everything sitting down with them up as then you look them in the eye and get a kids idea of how grown ups are mostly voices in the sky.

Hi. PF2K.

Just start with earth, and work your way outwards. That's what I did, when asked to do the same thing. Once you get chatting, and both you and they feel at ease, you'll be surprised how easy they will make it for you. Their questions will come thick and fast, and you won't have to guess what interests them most. It's quite good fun, and a lot of them are very bright kids.

And I concur with Ringz, there needs to be a test set for them, but covering the subjects talked about. A little help given to them to answer is permissable

Ron. :(

Looks easy enough to me. If I was preparing a lesson plan for this I'd do the following:

a) Start by asking about what they know relating to stars and planets, then go on to explain the differences.

:( Split them into groups and have a range of information available for them to research the items in part 4.

c) Groups then present what they have found out on their specific areas.

d) Take them outside to look at the Moon and discuss what they can see.

e) Discuss Polaris and how to find it. Ask them how it might be useful for navigation and then do some work on using it to navigate.

f) Look for some constellations and discuss their origins.

g) Go back inside and get them to draw some of their observations.

h) Quick fire quizz to end.

You might also prepare some examples of constellations to have on display around the cub hall that they can then see whilst completing the other activities.

So, there you have it! That's how this teacher would handle it!

Archived