NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

can somebody help with this EQMod error

blinky

Ive been having a nightmare recently getting my EQ6 connected to EQMod - No idea what, the USB serial converter seems fine, sometimes unplugging it and replugging it in will help. Sometimes using a different port helps.... Anyway, today, had the same issue, so used another cable and it connected ok, then unplugged that cable and tried the original one - the PC crashed at this point and then gave an EQMod error 55.  I google this and found a thread on here about it, so tried deleting the .ini files which seemed to make it worse!  Then I uninstalled EQASCOM, reinstalled and now get this error all the time.  Can anybody help @chrisshillito

eqmod.JPG

Edited by blinky

Could be a communication error due to cable quality/length. How long are the USB cable and the serial cable?  If the USB cable is a few meters long, maybe it helps if you use a shorter USB cable.

Right...Helps if you install EQASCOM and not one of the other EQ apps like EQTour!  So, back up and running, with the additional cable, bypassing my USB hub.  Think its time I bought a new EQDIR cable...

Short, I use a short USB to the usb2 hub then a 3m cable from the hub.  The only way to get it consistently working is a sperate (and this is 5m) cable, connecting the usb/serial adapter direct to a spare port on my laptop

Mmmmm, I found out some time ago that although you are allowed 5 m of USB it can all go wrong if the 5 m is split in two/or three by connections. I.e. you say you use a short USB then a 3 m USB. the interconnect can cause the problem. That could be  why the single cable is working. As these interconnects get older and frequently plugged in and out they can become worn and cause a poorer connection for the signals.

Just a thought.

Derek

Poor connectors could be a problem. 

As Blinky indicated maybe the hub is spoiling the serial communication.  It's only 9600 baud serial but the timing of the bits is very critical. A club member here is also using a 5 meter USB cable without problems. So I assume a 5 meter usb cable is preferably to a hub connection.  Moving the usb->serial dongle closer to the computer is an other option. The serial cable is possibly less sensitive to long lengths then USB. 

I know it doesn't help but I've used a 5m cable to my Startech USB 2 hub, and a 5m cable from the hub to the laptop for years with zero problems. Both are high quality Lindy cables though.

I did try a USB 3 Startech hub for a while, only because it was a smaller form factor and looked neater on my pier.  I was plagued by random disconnect problems on my camera, focuser and guide camera, ditched it in the end and went back to USB 2.

Just had a "real" fdti cable fail on my AZEQ6 - only indication there was a problem it would disconnect now and then. Replaced that and now problem has gone away.  

The more sections/hardware the more likely there could be a problem with any cable/hardware part in your set up.  Can you test with just a Mount to PC cable and see if you get the same problems.   I think you implied you tried this and this worked but I was confused on how you actually connected. If this worked then you have a pointer to the problem - hub or hub to pc cable. 

Cable / connector problems are a bitch to find always prefer a complete failure. 🙂

14 hours ago, blinky said:

Direct connection works, for som3 reason going through a usb 2 hub, that’s powered, causes it to fail

Hint - its a pointer to the problem. Powered or not should not make it fail.  

Either the hub is

1. not performing correctly - replace hub and retest - if you have another or can borrow one - thats the better idea.

2. The power source to the hub is suspect or not on a common ground with mount. Have you changed or added items since it used to work.