Banner.jpg.b89429c566825f6ab32bcafbada449c9.jpg

Hello, Little Brother!

cloudsweeper

My latest EP has just arrived - a Meade 4000 Super Plossl 15mm.  Here it is, with the two big Meade 5000 UWAs.  The 15mm is my lightest EP at just 78g.  The other two are 708g (20mm) and 834g (24mm).  (Mind you, my heaviest by far is the ES 30/82, at 992g.)

The 15mm is the latest Plossl since I came to value them more, and joins a Meade 4000 32mm, a Meade 3000 25mm, and a TV 20mm.  The TV is very good, and I fancied the 15mm version, but the Meade is far less expensive, and has slightly more AFOV (52deg to 50) and eye relief (11mm to 10).  I look forward to trying it out.

Plossls at lower focal lengths have even shorter eye relief, so the Celestron XCel LXs (and others) come in there.

Doug.

P1070654.JPG

• Like 4

I have read just not long ago someone else who went back down to regular plossls type thing I also just did this last week.

I just bought on used market the full set of the radian ep from televue & same week got a used collection (from diferent people) Televue plossl ep that in my signature.

I too think somethimes going back to nice plossls is good and they still perform well

joejaguar

I myself am a sucker for a good old Ortho. Nothing like a good Ortho for planetary where fov is not a high priority. But clear sharp views are. A good Ortho I have a soft spot for, and so reasonable in price compared to some wide angle eyepieces available today.

• Like 1

6 hours ago, Timebandit said:

I myself am a sucker for a good old Ortho. Nothing like a good Ortho for planetary where fov is not a high priority. But clear sharp views are. A good Ortho I have a soft spot for, and so reasonable in price compared to some wide angle eyepieces available today.

Someday I'll have to see how orthos stack up against Pentax XW/XL, Delos, Morpheus, HD-60, and Starguiders at shorter focal lengths with an undriven Dob to see if the added sharpness is worth the loss of field.

• Like 1