NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Bresser 70/700 at Lidl

Well it's that time of year again and Lidl's have their usual astro selection. The Bresser 10x50 and Bresser Skylux 70. I'm going in Monday to grab two pairs of binos anyway just in time for Christmas presents. But the Skylux caught my eye this time. They have dropped the modfied EQ2 in favour of an AltAz mount with slow motions. Hmm

My youngest son cannot get on with the EQ2, he hates the EQ. And at the moment he shares our current Skylux with his brother which leads to the usual squabbles. So this latest Skylux looks just the job. An AltAz for Sam, no scope squabbles. They only really look at the moon, so the Skylux is plenty. And i get an AltAz for my ED80 and 20x80's. Not that this is about me of course.

Does anyone have any experience of this AltAz mount?

I've seen it elsewhere for £75 without the scope. So it's the usual Lidl mega bargain, not only £20 cheaper than the astro retailers but a free scope to boot.

I bought one last year, they are great little scopes and you can't beat the value for money. I am using it as a high powered finder and solar scope on 8.5" newt. I am hoping that my daughter will use it one day (she is only 2.5) as it won't be too painful to part with!

Buy one, if you don't like it put it on ebay and sell on for more than you paid for it!

M

• 3 weeks later...

Hi all,

Did any of you guys buy a skylux from lidl recently? I am confused to what mount it comes with in the box. Says 'Equitorial Mount' on the box but from reading this thread I take it it's an alt/az?

They have about 8 of the scopes in the torquay store. I wanted to get one for the EQ2 mount and perhaps upgrade the scope later on and add motor.

Regards,

Paul

My local shopkeeper has just got one of these scopes for his kids on my recommendation, and I popped round the other day to make sure they'd got the hang of things.

The mount is quite clever.

It can be either alt/az or equatorial. Out of the box ot's an alt /az, but you can tilt the whole thing using a lockable bar which is graduated with a degree scale so it's easy to set for your latitude, thus making it an eq mount.

Looks pretty good for a starter scope to me.

Cheers

Rob

I bought one of these specifically for the alt/az mount which is light enough and compact enough to fit in a suitcase. It handles the ZS80 really well and it'll make a great holiday set up, the vibration damping time is a few seconds but I can live with that.

I'll also use the OTA to guide with, that way my son can have his Bresser 70mm OTA back :)

Ian

Archived