NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

NGC7830

astro mick

Hi.

Been terrible weather here where I live,and not much imaging has been possible.As usual always battling the weather.(It really is a pain in the UK).

I have decided that there is nothing to be gained when using lower end equipment in trying to image for more than about 2hrs per filter with a mono ccd.Even this can take several nights,and I don't see the returns for this effort.

Without the resouces to buy astrodons,i find the Badaar and the Astronomik filters do not really cut it,especially  O111.

Others I,m sure will disagree.

So this image was a total of 4hrs usinge the said Ha O111 filters.

Taken with  ED80 scope and an Atik 314L ccd.

Calibrated with bias and Flats.

It will do for me.

Cheers.

Mick.

NGC7830a.png

Edited by astro mick
  • Like 10

7 hours ago, alan potts said:

Very nice Mick, this is one that I will have to track down and have a go at though it will be OSC and no astrodons either, might well get one of those newish duel filters for the camera though.

Alan

Thanks Alan.

Interested to read reviews of these new Filters.

Mick.

• Like 1

7 hours ago, daz said:

Nice picture Mick, but I will sit in the firmly disagree camp :)

I have Baaders NB and LRGBs and find they work just great!

What I don't have is time and clear skies :D :D

Thanks Daz.

Maybe a bit harsh regarding the Baaders.

Mick.

Edited by astro mick

11 minutes ago, astro mick said:

Maybe in jest{LOL) but cheers.

No, in all seriousness.    I read your earlier post about how deflating it can be to compare ones own efforts to  those of other users  that have backyard equipment one step down from the Hubble and more clear nights than the Moon.     

I can feel this photo has been wrestled out of the grim Northern skies via genuine perseverance and commitment.   It gets the peoples vote.....i.e.  mine  !! 

Keep 'em coming.

Sean.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, Craney said:

No, in all seriousness.    I read your earlier post about how deflating it can be to compare ones own efforts to  those of other users  that have backyard equipment one step down from the Hubble and more clear nights than the Moon.     

I can feel this photo has been wrestled out of the grim Northern skies via genuine perseverance and commitment.   It gets the peoples vote.....i.e.  mine  !! 

Keep 'em coming.

Sean.

Thanks a lot Sean,i really appreciate this comment.

Yes I will.

Mick.

• Like 1

I think that you have raised some very valid points about filters, equipment, sky quality etc.

We often read that the answer is to simply gather more data, but it is more complicated than this.  Last year I tried to capture the elusive squid in the flying Bat nebula.  After 2 hours of exposure I had something recogniseable.  I decided to carry on.  I would usually look at the data after each night's efforts, but in this case I decided not to look until I had 8 hours of data.  This took a couple of weeks.  When I combined the complete 8 hours, it wasn't any better at all than the two hours of data - and  the additional subs looked to be the same quality as the first subs.

One thing that I think you have nailed is the issue with OIII.  My first 3nm filter was a Ha.  I justified this on the basis that I use a lot of Ha, so it made sense to spend the money on that.  In fact, the 3nm OIII filter is much better value because 7nm OIII from my light polluted area is not much good at all.

For people(like me) who cannot justify the cost of Astrodons, there is the option of Chroma.  Many people swear that they are exactly the same as Astrodons.

• Like 1