Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Truss tube connectors

mdstuart

I am looking for top and bottom connectors for Truss Tubes for my 20 inch scope redesign.

I can of course source some from the USA but what cheaper options might there be?

I can see you can get tube inserts and then buy various attachments.

Maybe someone who has a 3D printer might make me some?

Any ideas or suggestions welcome.

Hi, I assume you are looking both at the piece at the end of tubes and the bracket to connect it to the UTA and the lower part of the scope.

Is the scope intended for visual or imaging? Were you unhappy with the system being too woobly? Are you re-using the beams - is the section round? what's the ID / OD?  

Clear skies, Michele

Michele

Thanks for your response. The scope is for visual use. I want to make setting up and packing away easier.

I am going for 1.25 inch aluminium truss tubes. I need new ones as the new base box will be much smaller so I will need longer 2m tubes.

I have now decided to go for astrosystems top connections and moonlite block connectors. I looked out for cheaper options but everything would have been a faff (technical term) to use.

I will post pictures when it is all put together.

Regards

Mark

• 2 weeks later...

Sometimes making your own "compromised parts" is a great solution!    https://www.amazon.com/Aluminum-Weld-Tube-Ends-Bungs/dp/B07C86Q52K

If you can figure out the correct identification of the "base part" you require, i am sure theres an alternative local solution readily available .  Thats half the battle when it comes to building stuff!     The linked part above is called a tube clevis, who would ever know to type clevis in google without thinking it was some kind of prank?   I certainly did not know thats what it was called , all engineers did get a good laugh im sure...

The other part? To get a screw in the tube is called a threaded insert.      

https://www.ebay.com/itm/4-Pack-Threaded-Star-Type-3-4-OD-Round-Tubing-Insert-1-4-20-Threads-S72-244-/302450510951

• Like 1

Back in the 80s I made an 8.75" F3.8 truss tube, rich field Newtonian using Rawlplugs. 
These were rubber "top hats" with a screw to compress the plug once inserted into a tube.
I put the Rawl Plug screws through holes in the baffle and then added the tubes.

Nowadays there are also expansion plugs in split brass bodies with conical expansion "wedges."
Used for anchors in concrete, etc, in a wide range of diameters.

Expansion plastic plugs with built in screws are also handy for getting a solid grip inside a tube.
Bung a right angle bracket under the screw head and reinsert the screw and you have a really solid fixing.
Cost is bound to be a fraction of CNC'd kit with a named astro label added from a factory in China.