NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Air blower to clean lenses/mirrors?

Has anyone any experience or opinion about using something like this for removing dust from lenses, filters and mirrors. At least it is not like compressed gas cans that may squirt chemicals onto you optic surfaces:

Edited by gorann

I bought a lilo footpump from Tesco’s during the summer. Yet to use it in earnest but hoping it’ll do the trick. Need to make a fine nozzle for it first though. I reckon it should give a good high pressure jet of air for sustained blowing of dust, I don’t really like the little hand squeezy blowers and like you say the cans have a habit of squirting liquid content. It’s got a nice long tube so should be pretty dexterous. No idea about that powered blower though it looks a bit ungainly 🤷‍♂️

Looks OK but I would want to fit a better filter on it, my personal preference is a CO2 cylinder that moves dust realy well and far better than a "rocket blower" type thing that effectively sucks up dust and blows it out again.... you can get cans of compressed gas that do not use a propellant but they are not cheap.

Alan 

Well, I now just ordered one from Amazon (65 Euro).  I had been thinking about getting a gas cylinder (air or nitrogen) with a regulator but it would be a bit clumpsy and I am not sure that they are particle free - my fear is that they may be as rusty inside as outside.

I find the hand held "hurricane blower" is very effective. I would not use anything that involves propellant in case anything other than air finds it's way onto the optical surface.  

My hand held and operated blower provides a lot of air force up to a few cm from the nozzle and keeps every thing portable and simple.

image.png.37c61ae81e4075111ad8b1556022bf92.png

I've used this for years on refractor objectives, mirrors and eyepieces and it's 100% safe and successful.

• Like 2

3 minutes ago, John said:

I find the hand held "hurricane blower" is very effective. I would not use anything that involves propellant in case anything other than air finds it's way onto the optical surface.  

My hand held and operated blower provides a lot of air force up to a few cm from the nozzle and keeps every thing portable and simple.

image.png.37c61ae81e4075111ad8b1556022bf92.png

I've used this for years on refractor objectives, mirrors and eyepieces and it's 100% safe and successful.

Well, that is what I have right now, Usually works well on my camera chip windows and small filters, but I would like to try something stronger especially for the front lenses of my telescopes.

25 minutes ago, gorann said:

Well, that is what I have right now, Usually works well on my camera chip windows and small filters, but I would like to try something stronger especially for the front lenses of my telescopes.

Maybe your dust is more stubborn than mine ?

For my lens and corrector plate on my SCT I use a Horse Hair brush and I brush lightly . That blower above I would never use on a camera internals or a lens cause the force of air is strong enough to blow particles down inside the camera and possibly damaging the sensor . In the video above remember seeing that each time he used it he paused a moment to let the dust resettle . That's not good cause it settles back on your item your cleaning . If you need to remove dust use a vacuum , not a blower . Key board vacuums are perfect for small jobs for lens and telescopes . 

https://www.amazon.com/s?k=keyboard+vacuum+cleaner&hvadid=78065378095490&hvbmt=be&hvdev=c&hvqmt=e&tag=mh0b-20&ref=pd_sl_9rvts86j0k_e

I have used the dust off for years. I just am careful to test it before each use. By that I mean to give it a blast away from the lens or filter first. Allways keep upright at all times in use. I use Baader Wonder cleaning fluid after the first dust off. Or Isopropyl alchohol. I also use Kim Wipes or lens cleaning tissue. Once the lens or filter is clean I dust off it again and examine for any residue, then repeat if necessary. Use plenty of Kim Wipes once only and discard. Use ISO on the Kim Wipes. You can fold them and tear again and again until you have a soft ended pad to gently sponge off any dust or crud. 

I have been doing this for years and never had any problems at home out in the field or on university lenses and other equipment. 

If you are not sure even now have a watch of the Astrodon demonstration for cleaning filters. Modern filter coatings are not the same as years ago. They are basically hard coated. Lenses are maybe the most likely item that can be damaged by rough handling/cleaning. I have never in over 40 years damaged a lens or filter. 

Just use common sense, watch some/several demonstrations before commencing your cleaning and read up what filter manufacturers say. After all they make the things and don't want a bad rep by giving out bad advice.

If you are a member of Costco, they sell the Dust Off cans by the six pack at around £17/19. So not that expensive. 

Mirrors are a completely different kettle of fish. Never cleaned one so no other comment there!

Derek

Edited by Physopto