Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Can anyone recommend a cheap Canon DSLR?

Hello everyone

I was thinking about buying a cheap DSLR for astrophotography use to see if I like it. So I'm looking for something really inexpensive, but something that still works well. I'm thinking if I like it then I don't want to have to immediately feel like I have to upgrade the camera, but at the same time don't want to throw money away on something if I decide its not for me.

I've been looking on mpb.com but its occurred to me I have no idea what criteria I should be applying... I've been tempted by a couple of 1200d on there but if I'm being honest it's still a little more than I'd like to pay as I'll have to find a lens from somewhere too. Could I get away with going really cheap and getting an older model in the £75-100 range or would I regret that outrageous thriftiness?!

Many thanks all, apologies for the beginner question again!

I would recommend a camera with LiveView and with USB control of shutter and download of images. 

And the earliest and cheapest of those is probably the 450D as suggested by Alan. 

There's an Astro modded one on Astronomy BuyAndSell.... 

Michael 

• Thanks 1

I used XSi (450D) cameras for semi-professional work until their shutters died, so they're good for about 80,000 clicks.  For general shooting, I prefer my T3i (600D) due to higher resolution, lower noise, and the fully articulated LCD.  I've seen quite a few astro-modded versions here in the states for good prices, so keep an eye out for them as well.  After the T3i, it seems like Canon has mostly been bent on improving video characteristics rather than still captures, so I haven't felt a compelling need to upgrade.

• Thanks 1

I think the first question is:

Will the camera be night sky only? Or do you want a daytime camera?

An 'out of the box' camera has a red cut filter which means you need longer exposures on red objects - like nebulae.
An 'astro modded' camera has the filter removed (and maybe other work) so is easier on the night sky. but produces pink images in the day.

Even an ancient model like the Canon 1000D (that I still have) can produce good results and won't dent your bank balance by very much.

HTH, David.

3 hours ago, Carbon Brush said:

I think the first question is:

Will the camera be night sky only? Or do you want a daytime camera?

An 'out of the box' camera has a red cut filter which means you need longer exposures on red objects - like nebulae.
An 'astro modded' camera has the filter removed (and maybe other work) so is easier on the night sky. but produces pink images in the day.

Even an ancient model like the Canon 1000D (that I still have) can produce good results and won't dent your bank balance by very much.

HTH, David.

Thanks for the question. Its a good point I should have mentioned it in the post; I do really only want it for night time use but do not have the sort of budget that would make an astro modified camera a consideration.

Thanks for the advice.

1200D is what I use and other than some banding (which I think is common with a lot of the canon models) its been great. You can get them with lens for £150-180 on the bay of E.

The 450d is a very popular model though and about a third cheaper for kits. If you are prepared to hold out for auctions there are some real bargains going too. Have seen a 1200d kit go for £110 and a 450d go for £90

• Thanks 1

Keep an eye open on SGL classified.

Astro modded cameras sometimes come up. The benefit of buying from SGL members is that usually the camera has been looked after, and if modded, done properly.

Also have a read at the reviews left on SGL about individuals or companies who do astro mods.
It might not hurt your wallet too much to buy a 'daylight' camera now and get it modded later if/when you get hooked, and are happy with the camera performance/features.

I have two 1000D cameras. Purchased a long time back. Both used.
I started with an astro modded camera and got fed up of having to keep making changes for daytime use. But I liked the camera.
So I released moths from my wallet and got a daytime camera.

David.

• Thanks 1

Thanks everyone for the replies and kind advice. I feel reassured about getting an older model so did some more research.

Although I admit I did ask specifically about Canon cameras as these are what I've used in the past, I found that Nikon seemed to be a bit cheaper in terms of both lenses and bodies so I picked up a Nikon D3200 and a 70-300 Sigma macro APO lens for £178 which I'm pretty impressed with. I know it wasn't Canon but if it weren't for your advice I wouldn't have thought about venturing out of my comfort zone so many thanks for that. I've got a motorized EQ1 mount already so will do some playing at around the 70mm mark to start with and see how I get on.

Thanks again everyone.

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-digital-slr-cameras/used-nikon-digital-slr-cameras/nikon-d3200/sku-865049/

https://www.mpb.com/en-uk/used-equipment/used-photo-and-video/used-lenses/used-nikon-fit-lenses/sigma-70-300mm-f-4-5-6-macro-nikon-fit/sku-901359/

a question that I have been wondering about lately, though, only looking for short exposure only, as I use my dob usually for visual. But would love to take a couple of short exposure pictures.

Wonder if the Canon EOS 4000D (NIS) is any good for astrophotography?

Also, Nikon COOLPIX B500, found it on sale

Edited by PlanetGazer

42 minutes ago, PlanetGazer said:

a quedtion that I have been wonering about latley, though, only looking for short exposure only, as I use my dob usually for visual. But would love to take a couple of short exposure pictures.

Wonder if the Canon EOS 4000D (NIS) is any good for astrophotography?

Also, Nikon COOLPIX B500, found it on sale

I do know that if you are looking at the EOS4000D then you'd be better trying to get a 1300D instead. They replaced the 1300d with the 4000 but the reviews I read say that the 1300d is superior in every way.

After missing many great Canon camera deals here on SGL I ended up paying a bit over the odds for a S/H 1200D from a local high street "cash converters" type place. I'm still happy with it but it's still not looked through any of my scopes!

From my readings I gather it is quite suitable for astro and as a minimum I'd recommend Backyard EOS to help along the way.

As happy as I am, I still kick myself for not buying off SGL. I could have got many astro related extras for the same price I paid for camera plus std kit 18-70mm lens only.

Paul, the worlds least experience and least productive astro imager :)