NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

iOptron 6" Rumak Maksutov-Cassegrain Telescope

FLO

Very interesting! Not really many Rumaks around. Ioptron are really bringing some interesting stuff to market.  I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it compares to a Gregorian.

Edited by CraigT82

We have added the following explanatory text to our product description page 🙂 

"Gregory vs Rumak

Gregory

Most Maksutov telescope available today (i.e. from Sky-Watcher, Celestron & Meade) are Gregory Maksutovs where the secondary mirror is a simple aluminised circle essentially glued onto the interior surface of the corrector lens. Therefore the curvature of the secondary mirror is always the same as the curvature of the corrector lens. From an optical design perspective this is a compromise but it does enable high contrast Maksutov optics to be manufactured at lower prices. 

Rumak

The Rumak Maksutov, named after its designer designer Harry Rutton, is a more sophisticated design. A Rumak's secondary mirror is distinct and separate from the corrector lens so the optical designer has more freedom to enhance performance. Typically, for the same focal length, a Rumak Maksutov has a flatter field and tighter stars when compared to a Gregory Maksutov. This makes the Rumak Maksutov an especially good choice for astrophotography." 

If you look at the photo in our second post above you can just-about make out the separate secondary. 

• Like 3

On 30/10/2019 at 16:32, CraigT82 said:

Very interesting! Not really many Rumaks around. Ioptron are really bringing some interesting stuff to market.  I'd love to get my hands on one to see how it compares to a Gregorian.

Be careful not to confuse Gregory with "Gregorian".  The Gregory is the design with the central area of the inner surface of the corrector forming the secondary. The Gregorian design has the corrector reversed, that is, the convex side facing skywards.  This arrangement provides a terrestrially orientated image.     🙂

• Like 2
  • Thanks 1