NGC 2264 to NGC 2244

Adreneline

This is 25 x 120s of Ha, OIII and SII using the Samyang 135mm with ASI1600MM, gain 139, offset 56.

ngc2254-hos.thumb.jpg.f2d21ce25536f646f43e2bee7d813933.jpg

There are some dodgy shaped stars in the corners and I really cannot decide if it is an alignment/droop or lens problem; hopefully it does not detract too much from the overall image.

Processed almost entirely in PI with a few colour tweaks and noise reduction in PS.

All comments and criticism welcome. Thanks for looking.

Adrian

• Like 10

15 minutes ago, carastro said:

I'd be inclined to lift the brightness a little as at first I did not see all that nebulosity around the cone Nebula.

Thanks Carole. I'll give it a bit of a tweak in PS. I sometimes find it quite difficult to identify 'background space' which I try to keep close to 23:23:23 in line with advice from others on this forum. I try to resist artificially lightening or darkening selective areas but maybe I should give it a go on this one.

Thanks again for your comments and advice.

Adrian

5 minutes ago, Laurin Dave said:

What f stop are you using?

Hello Dave.

I had the lens set at f2.8 - I've tried it on f2 and f2.4 but the star distortion in the extreme corners seems more pronounced.

Thanks for the kind comment.

Adrian

• Like 1

24 minutes ago, MartinB said:

Very nicely framed.  I can't see any dodgy stars on my 13" laptop.

Thank you Martin. If I am being very picky then I tend to feel the corner stars are not as good as they should be; the question is "can they be better with the setup I have?".

I think I may be getting a bit obsessed about it :( 

Thanks again.

Adrian 

13 hours ago, Adreneline said:

Thank you Martin. If I am being very picky then I tend to feel the corner stars are not as good as they should be; the question is "can they be better with the setup I have?".

I think I may be getting a bit obsessed about it :( 

Thanks again.

Adrian 

I use a Canon 200mmL lens with my ASI1600 and when I zoom in hard I can see that the corner stars are very dodgy.  I think it is the nature of these camera lenses.  For real world viewing it isn't an issue.  However, if the distortions are skewed to one side of the image then you might have an off centred lens, not that uncommon with Samyang lenses.  I had to send back a 14mm lens which was badly off centre.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, MartinB said:

I use a Canon 200mmL lens with my ASI1600

Hi Martin,

I too have a 200mm Canon but so far have found it really difficult to find the correct spacing to achieve focus. I use the ZWO EoS adapter with the ZWO-EFW. I've tried various additional spacers but am finding it impossible to find the 'sweet spot'. Any advice would be much appreciated.

Thank you.

Adrian