NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Monitor calibration

Having put a lot of time into processing an image on one comptuter it's a bit frustrating to have a look on another machine to find that it looks awful. My laptop seems ok and is an approximate match to what comes out of the printer. I have attempted to calibrate the monitors but can't really get my desktop close. Maybe its just a limitation of the monitor.

How do others go about ensuring the accuracy of what they are seeing when processing and with matching what comes out of the printer?

Hi Martin, you might find the following link useful for your quest on monitor balance, good luck

http://www.drycreekphoto.com/Learn/color_management.htm

I basically have set my monitors useing the gamma / colour space that comes with the software, PSP7, Capture One.

I have balanced everything around the D70, it is very expensive to obtain full and total control, there are softwares available that are used in situations where the absolute correct gamma / colour space are critical.

Check out the options available at Warehouse Express.com, click on the digital section, then colour management section. there are many options available costing upto £1000.

One simple one that I have used in the past is a simple colour chart, that I photographed at the start of each film, then when it was processed, I printed it to match the original. Changing locations, lighting, time of day, etc. means that I had to shoot a test card each time.

I will see if I can find you an electronic copy and pm it to you.

naz

You're not on your own Martin, i'm lurking!!

I was looking for the link for calibrating your monitor....

Photoshop has a similar wizard.. for monitor calibration.

Do you use an CRT monitor or a flat screen one (I know you said you use a laptop) But what about your main puter.

Greg

Thanks Steve. That looks pretty handy especially having 2 laptops and a desktop on the go, plus another at work (not that I ever use that for playing of course :lol:) £120 isn't way over the horizon but a few other priorities 1st I guess.

Archived