Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

There is no hope fighting light pollution locally.

maw lod qan

Besides complaining about light pollution, we can vote with our wallets.

By this I mean we moan at businesses who squander energy. How much for that coffee? Am I buying the coffee of the light show? Is that your moth attractor? Ah you have a flying insect nature feature on the shop front.
By this means the message may get back to those who control the light switches.

My village church has all year round floodlights on all the walls. When I commented it was wasteful, I was told it was a necessary theft deterrent. Lead from the roof I guess.
I tried to introduce the idea of PIR triggered lights. Or just put lights on at special times of year. But it fell on deaf ears.
Now when anyone from there comes rattling the donations tin at my door, I say that they have plenty of money. Unlike me who who has to turn out lights when I go out.
Strangely they haven't been back for a while....
Mods please note. This is an example of being asked to donate to a cause that is in my view wasteful with donations.
It just happens to be a church. It could have been the local donkey sanctuary, museum, charity shop, or any other good cause (whatever good is).

• Like 4
  • Thanks 1

1 hour ago, maw lod qan said:

Money? Cost?

Doesn't money come from a tree or out of a machine?😳

On cold clear mornings you can see the glow of the intersections of the interstate highway to the North and South which are illuminated by very tall poles with sodium lamps.

They stretch out for miles both directions.

At least we can somewhat filter out sodium lighting, but LED's and super trooper Halogens, no chance.

Glen.

For almost 2 years I've spoke with the fire chief for the station 300' from my house. They finally shielded 2 of the 3 LEDs they have on all night.

They did the 2 that have a tall thick wall of trees partially blocking them. Didn't do the one that affects me the most.

This is what I see every night back to the West.

_MG_7288labeled.jpg

• Sad 1

A loud message to the Florida fire chief?

The cost of running your station is met from local taxes. In other words the tax payers who are all around you.

By using lights, and leaving them on for too long, you are wasting the tax payers money and they can see the waste.

Further, these lights onsume energy. Much of which is still generated from fossil fuels. A limited and polluting resource.
What a woinderful example for the children in the area who will have to live with the consequences of your wasteful policies long after you are gone.

OK rant over. David.