NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Help with Moonlite High Res Stepper motor focuser

I'm looking some help.  I bought a scope with a Moonlite focuser and associated stepper motor.  I have this connected to a Hitec Astro Mount Hub Pro.  I'm using Astro Photography Tool to control everything.

Any pointers on getting the hang of using it, as I have no experience of this type of focuser.  I took some subs last night, but ended up disconnecting the motor focuser and manually focused it.

TIA

Adam.

Bumping this up. Spent some time last night and the focuser doesn’t seem to respond but it is coming up as connected in APT. Any help appreciated. I’m connecting via a Hitec Astro MHP, using the mount hub focuser Ascom software. 

Can I ask anyone currently using a Moonlite (or similiar) focuser - how far would I expect the focuser to move with 25 steps for example? I'm using the top link below, which includes the ascom driver.  It is connecting ok using the MHP focuser via the ascom dropdown in APT.  It doesnt hang and the little counter moves as I click to move the focuser but I cant see the focuser moving.  Any ideas?

image.thumb.png.282a8b83d9babf50b011892a53b1ccc2.png

22 minutes ago, markse68 said:

I’m afraid I don’t know anything about your issue but might be worth contacting Ron at moonlite- he’s very quick to answer questions and genuinely helpful 👍

Thanks.  Both the hub and focuser/stepper motor were purchased used so not 100% sure are working.

Not familiar with that setup but most motor focusers come with some sort of desktop utility that you can just push in / out buttons  to drive them manually via computer.

25 steps isn't much as steps are only a few microns.

Dave

Pic of Lakeside utility.

900958357_Lakesideutility.PNG.462d0f7460aa560b9c898a6a309ebe07.PNG

I have this setup, but don't use a computer to drive it I'm afraid.

However, using the manual Moonlite control box, I need to have the adjustment dial turned up a long way before I can see the focuser move appreciably.

As Dave says, you also need to ensure that the clutch is tightened.  If you can turn the knob on the other end of the focuser shaft by hand then the clutch probably isn't tight enough and could be slipping when the stepper motor turns.

My example also has quite a bit of backlash in the gearbox so it takes a while for it to change direction, though you should be able to tune this out in the software somewhere I believe.

Edit: Have you tried using the push buttons on the black hand control box? Just seen that you don't have the control box.  Edit: Are you coming to SGLSP? If so I can bring my control box along for you to try.  Just seen that you're in NI so I guess you're probably not coming to Lucksall. 

Edited by AdeKing
Added info

1 hour ago, tooth_dr said:

Can I ask anyone currently using a Moonlite (or similiar) focuser - how far would I expect the focuser to move with 25 steps for example? I'm using the top link below, which includes the ascom driver.  It is connecting ok using the MHP focuser via the ascom dropdown in APT.  It doesnt hang and the little counter moves as I click to move the focuser but I cant see the focuser moving.  Any ideas?

The movements of the focuser are very very fine mate, You would bearly be able to see it move at all in only 25 steps. My focus cube is 0.006 degrees per step so 25 steps would be 0.15 degrees. 

21 minutes ago, AdeKing said:

I have this setup, but don't use a computer to drive it I'm afraid.

However, using the manual Moonlite control box, I need to have the adjustment dial turned up a long way before I can see the focuser move appreciably.

As Dave says, you also need to ensure that the clutch is tightened.  If you can turn the knob on the other end of the focuser shaft by hand then the clutch probably isn't tight enough and could be slipping when the stepper motor turns.

My example also has quite a bit of backlash in the gearbox so it takes a while for it to change direction, though you should be able to tune this out in the software somewhere I believe.

Edit: Have you tried using the push buttons on the black hand control box? Just seen that you don't have the control box.  Are you coming to SGLSP?  If so I can bring my control box along for you to try.

Thanks Ade, I double checked the clutch, and it was tight, and I cant move the manual knob when it's tightened.

16 minutes ago, Adam J said:

The movements of the focuser are very very fine mate, You would bearly be able to see it move at all in only 25 steps. My focus cube is 0.006 degrees per step so 25 steps would be 0.15 degrees. 

Cheers Adam.  It could well be that I just cannot see the movements.  I'm going to try this again tonight and see if I can get it sorted.

I changed the 9 pin cable going to the focuser and there is activity from it! I only ran it briefly through the MHP interface but it’s moving 👍🏻🙈 

It’s looking clear tonight so I’ll try APT.

Any suggestions on settings or just use the default ones?