Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

canon 350d with eos utility ? please help

12 hours ago, Science562h said:

How do you have an observatory & image, with an unmodified DSLR? You sure, it isn't your backyard? In the U.S, private observatory cameras are still $10-$30K & those 'scopes still use spectrometers. 2-4 hr continuous recordings, at minimum, for private amateur non-sponsored state observatories.  They wil still not be sponsored, by the state or nation. 

I'm guessing here are also private obs in the USA as well as commercial. Any building, shed, shack, shanty that houses a permanent setup Is an observatory 

• Thanks 2
  • Haha 1

13 hours ago, Science562h said:

How do you have an observatory & image, with an unmodified DSLR? You sure, it isn't your backyard? In the U.S, private observatory cameras are still $10-$30K & those 'scopes still use spectrometers. 2-4 hr continuous recordings, at minimum, for private amateur non-sponsored state observatories.  They wil still not be sponsored, by the state or nation. 

From Online Dictionary

"a room or building housing an astronomical telescope or other scientific equipment for the study of natural phenomena."

John

• Like 2

On 22/10/2019 at 20:30, deanok said:

Ok so just as a follow on to this problem I have found a solution of sorts....... Staying with my 64bit Windows 10..... Also With a usb to serial adapter I can fire the shutter on the 350d using 'dslr shutter control' and choose exposure time, lock the mirror etc all good . Once an image has been taken in order to view it on screen I have to switch the camera from 'PC connection' to the print setting then using the normal usb lead Windows will recognise the camera and I can go into and view images using file explorer.  Unfortunately I haven't found a way to both fire the shutter and view image without faffing around with the camera settings etc so not quite as easy as using EOS utility on newer camera models but, that said, I'm happy I can use the camera on my 64 bit machine .......

i will continue to research further to find a way to do both actions without messing with the camera but in the meantime at least I can use the 350 👍

Sorry to barge in here on this old thread.

But I thought it was worth mentioning that V1.10 of NINA (https://nighttime-imaging.eu/) has a "file camera" function.

It basically just means that you can use cameras that are not supported by an SDK which enables it to be used directly in astro software,  almost as if it was connected.

It just requires that you can trigger exposures through some other utility or intervalometer and automatically move the files from the camera to a folder on the pc.

The gain is that you can use autofocus, platesolving, auto stretching, inspect images and statistics, dithering, etc..

Thought it was worth mentioning.

Edited by jjosefsen

• 2 months later...
On 20/01/2020 at 23:31, Science562h said:

Not quite sure what you mean here....... my observatory is in my back garden, I’m an amateur  astrophotographer using Canon dslr cameras attached to telescopes so yea I’m sure.......