Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

Guiding with PhD problem

Hi guys

I had my set up with PhD a few years back but not done anything with it since

however it's getting time to get ready and I've set up the scope etc but cannot get the mount to connect to PhD the only connection I can make to the mount is by using the gpint 3bc or 378 or Gpint 278 if I use the heq5 it tells me the driver is not recognised for com

The mount is a synscan eq5

And guidence will be welcome no pun intended

Regards Barrie

But I cannot remember what I used last time to guide

I use the HEQ5.

Depends on the guide camera, you are using.  It sounds like there is a problem with the drivers. 

Check you have installed the drivers correctly and look in Device Manager to see if the camera is recognised there.

If it is then your method of connecting PHD to the camera and mount must be wrong.

On mine I use "on camera", are you using a cable direct from the camera to mount, or using something else to connect it, like a GPUSB or hitech astro gadget (forget the name) in which case the connection will be different.   

Carole 

Edited by carastro

Thanks carole the camera is a webcam type that is connected to the laptop via USB and is looping and picking up images so that part is fine

The mount is connected via a serial cable to the laptop  but will only connect using the above settings I've posted

which if the connection protocols should I use is it the heq5 setting or another

Regards Barrie

27 minutes ago, barrie greenwood said:

no luck

Check. In this order:

Correct mount to computer using the correct cable. It's not a regular serial cable.

Mount powered on

Mount connected via eqascom

PHD2 profile with ascom EQ5,/6 selected as the mount.

Any good?

Edited by alacant

Hi guys

OK I seem to have managed to connect up and once connected I hear the ticking of the mount

But I do not seen to be able to control the slew with the computer using PhD

I cannot remember if I could control it before

any information or help I would be grateful guys, thanks in advance

barrie

Hi Alacant

Well it wasnt but then i decided to try the  handset in pc mode and hey presto it works now and ive downloaded the program cartes du i think its called and it is slewing like a good un.

so now o need to get a clear sky with no rain get rid of this cold and try to get out and learn how to use the program.

thanks so much for all your help it is really appreciated

Kindest regards baz

Edited by barrie greenwood
  • Like 1

platesolve involves taking a single frame, this is ran through the platesolve software (normally integrated into capture software) which works out where the mount is.

You basically choose a target, the capture software (NINA, SGPro, APT) moves the mount to the general area, takes a single frame, platesolve works out the co-ordinates and the capture software move the mount in needed and the process is ran again and again until the desired co-ordinates are reached.

In SGPro this normally take a 5 mins. Its a marvel to see in action.

I think APT might be a good start as I know it supports dslr. Its also free to use but also very very cheap for the full version. More like a donation.

Is your dslr connected directly to your computer?

Have a look at this post.

Edited by spillage