Banner.jpg.b83b14cd4142fe10848741bb2a14c66b.jpg

LRGB M82

MartinB

This is a set of subs from March 5th. It was horrible - blowing old boots and snow flurries. I didn't bother doing anything with them cos they were so badly affected by the wind. Shows how desperate I now am to do something astro related that I have attempted to cobble something together in order to learn more about LRGB processing. LRGB each 10x40 secs, except I have had to ditch about 50% of the subs they were so shakey. Combined using Maxim and finished in photoshop. Have rubbed out the fuzziest stars!

Even though it's very rough I think it is amazing what you can pull from the wreckage with the software even for a novice like me.

image.jpg

Martin

Your learning fast MB.

Great image.I'll be doing my own comparative report after next time out(to make sure it wasn't a fluke!)

But I showed Rita(her indoors) & she described it as a broken French stick... so when I talk about it ,it's now "the French stick".

Cheers Mick :lol:

Discovered by Johann Elert Bode in 1774.

forms a physical pair with its neighbor, M81 the magical Galaxy for the Northern hemisphere this galaxy is the prototype of an irregular of the second type, i.e. a "disk" irregular. Its core seems to have suffered dramatically from a semi-recent close encounter with M81, being in a heavy starburst and displaying conspicuous dark lanes. This turbulent explosive gas flow is also a strong source of radio noise, discovered by Henbury Brown in 1953. The radio source was first called Ursa Major A (strongest radio source in UMa) and cataloged as 3C 231 in the Third Cambridge Catalogue of Radio Sources.

Distance 12000 (kly)

8.4 mag

size 9x4 arc min

Wonderful image Martin i would be very happy with that esp in those conditions.

Well Done

James

So that's what I was imaging was it. Wondered how the core had got like that. Thanks James.

Thanks for the comments Mick Caz and Rog. Just a learning processing excercise. I find it very hard learning these new processing tasks from scratch. The instructions are often very little help - written by people who communicate much better with computers than they do people :? Would like to do an M42 mosaic LRGB and composited to sort out trapezium but I think that will take me another 10 years at the rate things are sinking in at the moment :?

Martin just a word of advise matey and don't take it wrong please, you need to take your time and let things progress at pace there's hell of a lot to learn Martin trust me iam still learning after 3-4yrs of imaging. Your doing a fantastic job of it so don't feel downhearted by some rubbish imaging instructions i find it's best to experiment with the programmes then read the instructions because like you say there mostly written by people whi can talk to computers also i would say they assume to much like you will know what there on about without the extra explanation of the subject which is down to them..

Just my 2p's worth i'll get my coat..

James :lol:

Martin, it all takes time, you are doing a fantastic job, and yes you will get disasters, but you already recognise the diference, keep at it. You have achieved a hell of a lot in a very short period.

I would be pleased that I managed to capture something like that so early on, and as you said the weather conspired against you.

naz

:)  Used a virtual telescope Rog  :lol:

One thing I've noticed is the huge variation in images across different monitors.  This image looks ok on my laptop but awful on my desktop despite having attempted to calibrate both of them. Think I need to start another thread.

Thats ok Martin, especially for the bad conditions you seemed to be fighting against, call it a starting point, I'm sure your next set will me much better and the contrast of improvement between the two will encourage you no end :lol:, I love looking back at some of my first attempts at objects then look at my best attempt and I'm allways chuffed at the progress I'm making.

Cheers

Alan.

Thanks Alan. What I am pleased with is the LRGB balance which was the aim of the excercise. I don't think it's that far off having had a look at other photos on the web. When conditions are very good I want to try to capture the "star burst" effects that comes out of the core. Don't think that will be very easy though. It actually strikes me as quite a difficult object.

Archived