Stargazers Lounge Uses Cookies

Like most websites, SGL uses cookies in order to deliver a secure, personalised service, to provide social media functions and to analyse our traffic. Continued use of SGL indicates your acceptance of our cookie policy.

sgl_imaging_challenge_banner_dslr_mirrorlesss_winners.thumb.jpg.9deb4a8db27e7485a7bb99d98667c94e.jpg

f33n3y

Eastern Veil Nebula (HOO bicolour)

Hi everyone,

Here is the Eastern Veil Nebula (NGC 6992/5), part of a large supernova remnant found in the constellation of Cygnus. You are looking at the wispy leftovers of a star 20 times more massive than our sun which exploded some 8000 years ago.

Equipment:
- Sky-Watcher 200PDS telescope
- HEQ5 Pro mount
- ZWO ASI1600MM camera for capture
- ZWO filter wheel, Ha and Oiii filters
- ZWO 120MM camera for autoguiding
- ZWO finder-guider guidescope
- Artesky flats box

Acquisition:
- 6th September 2019 from my garden in Glasgow, Scotland.
- 50x120sec with Ha filter, unity gain
- 50x120sec with Oiii filter, unity gain
- 20 flats each filter and 20 darks
- Controlled using Sequence Generator Pro

Processing:
- Stacked in Deep Sky Stacker
- PixInsight dynamic crop, dynamic background extraction, pixelmath (to produce bicolour HOO image), colour calibration, SCNR, histogram transformation, curved transformation, star mask and star reduction, TGV denoise
- Final denoise with Topaz Denoise and some touch ups in Lightroom.

Future improvements:
- More time on the target (less clouds).
- Addition of comma corrector to my imaging train.
- Create mosaic of the wider Veil nebula area.
- Improve PixInsight processing workflow.

More shots:
https://www.instagram.com/glasgowastro

EasternVeilNebulaByGlasgowAstro.jpeg

• Like 9

This deserves credit,it is a lovely image,and you have devoted quite a bit of time on it already.

On my screen the background could do with being a bit darker,but the Nebulae is stunning.

Mick. it

• Thanks 1

Join the conversation

You can post now and register later. If you have an account, sign in now to post with your account.

Reply to this topic...

×   Pasted as rich text.   Paste as plain text instead

Only 75 emoji are allowed.

×   Your link has been automatically embedded.   Display as a link instead

×   Your previous content has been restored.   Clear editor

×   You cannot paste images directly. Upload or insert images from URL.

• Recently Browsing   0 members

No registered users viewing this page.

• Similar Content

• By Kronos831
      Hey guys it's me agaiinn. Recently I have been thinking about which telescope i should buy(its going to be my first telescope!!!!!) I have narrowed it down to 2 choices! The Skywatcher explorer 200p and the Skywatcher explorer 200pds
      I just can't seem to chose oneee.
      I want to do Astrophotography and i have heard that the Dual Speed focuser is going to help a lott. can someone please explain how? I m a total newbie and have just begun reading about Astrophotography. 
      On the other hand i ve heard that some eyepiece s will need an extension tube to help them achieve focus (due to the secondary mirror placed closer to the primary) and i really want to see through the telescope my self.I dont know if the extra 140€ that i have to pay to get the focuser and the pds and eq5 (rather than just getting the 200p and eq5 combined ) is worth it .Does it really make that big of a difference?? I hipe somebody can help me

Thanks

-Kronos
    • By bottletopburly
      Finally making progress with guiding and dithering and the autofocuser , sw200pds ,  modded canon 1000D , Eq6 belt mod -7x300sec 25 flats -25x Bias as darks 

• By steppenwolf
      Pickering’s Triangle (Seimis 3-188)
      It is a little early in the season to be imaging this object as it didn’t appear above my local horizon until 00:50 when I started the project earlier this month but with nights getting shorter as we approach the summer solstice, it made sense to make an early start even though it took several nights to capture the data while ducking and diving between the clouds and early morning mist!
      Discovery
      Pickering’s Triangle is part of the supernova remnant known as The Veil Nebula in Cygnus. The Veil Nebula itself was discovered by William Herschel in September, 1784 but this faint region was only later discovered photographically in 1904 by Williamina Fleming at the Harvard Observatory. The discovery was made post publication of the New General Catalogue (NGC) so it isn’t included in the catalogue. Although it wouldn’t happen today (I hope!), the custom of the time was to credit the discovery to the lead astronomer, in this case Edward Charles Pickering, the director of the observatory.

Image Stats

Mount: Mesu 200
      Telescope: Sky-Watcher Esprit 150
      Flattener: Sky-Watcher Esprit specific
      Camera: QSI 683 WSG-8
      Filter: Astrodon 3nm Ha and 3nm OIII
      Subframes: 6 x 1800 sec Ha, 13 x 1800 sec OIII
      Integration: 9.5 hours
      Control: CCD Commander
      Capture: MaxIm DL
      Calibration, Stacking and Deconvolution: PixInsight
      Post-Processing: PhotoShop PS3
      Description
      The nebula can be found in the north-west quadrant of the Veil Nebula near NGC 6974 and 79 (see whole Veil Nebula image below). Lying around 1,400 light years away, the beautiful filamentary elements are the expanding shock-wave from the progenitor star that went supernova here somewhere between 5,000 and 10,000 years ago.

Position within the Veil Nebula

Visually, the nebula responds well to the use of an OIII filter as the region is rich in OIII emissions as can be seen in the blue/green filaments in the above images.
      Photographically this is a wonderful object that responds well to both LRGB and narrowband imaging and the example shown here was captured using Ha and OIII filters. Although there are sulphur emissions (SII) in this region, this object responds well to my favourite imaging method of 'bi-colour’. This process uses just Ha and OIII filtration wherein the OIII data is mapped to both the ‘Green’ and ‘Blue’ channels and the Ha is mapped to the ‘Red’ channel. The greyscale  images below show the individual Ha (left) and OIII (right) images used to produce this image. As you can see from the 'Stats' above, I have a whole load more Ha to collect to complete the image!
      The individual Ha and OIII images

• By Marci
      An absolute swine to capture with a full-spectrum camera full of pubes & no CLS filter, thus hoovers in Wakefield’s light pollution, hence this is a grayscale image (otherwise the entire thing is tinted in an unremovable orange that swamped out any natural colour). Only an hour of data... 15x 240s @ ISO800D, EOS1000D (modified), Explorer 200PDS
    • By Marci
      My first foray into astrophotography...
      Canon EOS 650D, 200s subs @ISO400... no idea what total exposure was.

Important Information

By using this site, you agree to our Terms of Use.