NLCbanner2024.jpg.2478be509670e60c2d6efd04834b8b47.jpg

Struve 61, 3053 & Pi Andromedae

Rob Sellent

2 hours ago, Stu said:

Out of interest, how are they created?

Thanks for the interest, Stu :) It's quite a simple process, but perhaps a tad laborious.

• I divide a circle into 4 or 8 equal sections. This helps with plotting stars which I find quite difficult. I don't use a tracking mount, so in order to plot stars as accurately as possible I try to use at least 2 key stars that I can push the scope back to at all times. Each of the star plots have this feature. For example, the first sketch above has 4 key stars at 12, 3, 6 and 9 o'clock. The third sketch just has two, at 1 and 9 o'clock.
  • When sketching I also try to take account of star light intensity/size and colour.
  • Back inside, I take a photo of the sketch, load it into Gimp, convert the photo using grey scale (not black and white) and feather the edge so it has an effect like looking through the eyepiece. I think the sky background could be a tad darker but it is never black in my eyes.  
  • Then I create a 'layer' and just re-plot the stars directly over the top of the original stars using various tones of grey and add color if necessary.
  • Finally, I get rid of the original 'layer' and am left with the sketch.

I've only practiced this method a few times and wouldn't bother if the consumption was only for my use. Each year, I fill note books of sketches or descriptions from observations but throw them out at the end of each year. However, I feel for SGL if I'm going to share a sketch or two, I should aim to show what I'm seeing through the eyepiece. I haven't worked out how to do averted vision but I'm on the case :smiley:

• 2 weeks later...

Hi Rob, I have just read through your method of sketching - great idea - beyond my knowledge. I like the final effect. I think I would agree with you that the background could be a tad darker but as you say it is not black (except at high magnification). I have often visited these doubles so thanks for reminding me of them. Maybe I should get back into sketching doubles. I always find folks descriptions of the colours interesting. Folk see them differently to each other. Mike

• Thanks 1